New beta sunset offset wasn't what I hoped for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New beta sunset offset wasn't what I hoped for

I downloaded the much anticipated public beta software. My main hope was that each scene could have its own sunset offset, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So, it looks like I can't have one scene come on at sunset -1 hour and another come on at sunset -1/2 hour, for example. It appears that my entire house must use a single offset. What good is that when some rooms naturally need light sooner than others? Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Additionally, I had hoped that there would be an option for a variable offset. I.e., a random number of minutes before or after the set time (within a range) so that you could set up a scene that makes it look more like people are home, turning the lights on and off at different times.

Comment

Keep in mind this is a beta release. There is a long list of additions scheduled for the app. It is helpful to let insteon know the feature sets you would like to see but don’t assume that feature and product support you may want is being worked on.

Comment

Steve, how do we let Insteon know about features we might want?

Comment

[URL]https://www.insteon.com/ima-beta/feedback[/URL]

[email]beta@insteon.com[/email]

Comment

cada vez insteon me desanima más, primero quito la aplicación de apple watch y ahora saca una versión beta que no reconoce ni cámaras, ni dispositivos de apertura de cortinas (por lo menos en ni caso), es decir que si esta queda como esta no voy a poder volver a ver a controlar mis cortinas, de las cámara y lo anunciaron al bajar la beta que toca usar otra app, es mejor que dejen la que esta que por lo menos controla todos los dispositivos

Comment

I do indeed hope that they add a lot of features and fix a lot of issues, or this will be another disappointment.

Instead of specifying a time, I find it more useful to specify a sun-angle at which time a device or scene should come on or off.

Comment

Does anyone know how to add a second hub (my mountain cabin) to the new app? I have tried adding it by scanning the barcode, but it just says that the hub is already being used. Yes, it is being used, but I still want to add it to the new app. I also tried by using the app ID, username, and password. That doesn't work either. Ideas, anyone?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tobias;n111189]I do indeed hope that they add a lot of features and fix a lot of issues, or this will be another disappointment.

Instead of specifying a time, I find it more useful to specify a sun-angle at which time a device or scene should come on or off.[/QUOTE]

Tobias, I am a long-time X10 user and am trying to migrate to Insteon based on a friend's recommendation. What I'm finding is that the Insteon user interface is just *awful* compared to X10. My biggest problem with Insteon is that the software will not allow different modules or scenes to turn on or off at the same time each day. Really?? With X10, I can set one module to sunset -10, the next to sunset -20, and so on. Please help me communicate this huge programming miscue to the folks at Insteon.

Comment

Here's a simple workaround for those of us who need sunrise and sunset offsets in their scenes.

It shouldn't have been necessary, but luckily I found that the Amazon Alexa app can do variable offsets for sunrise and sunset in their "routines". This means that an Insteon home automation scene can be called automatically every day with whatever offset you set. Simply turn off the schedule in your Insteon scene and use an Alexa "routine" to trigger the scene on or off as needed.

I don't think you need any actual Alexa devices to use the Alexa app for this purpose, but if you do have some you can also use voice commands to trigger the sunrise and sunset at arbitrary times.

We wait, and wait, and wait for simple functionality in the Insteon app for such things as hub backup, offsets for sunrise and sunset, bug fixes, etc. Absolutely ridiculous that a company could be so poor at updating their software.

The software is simple, it's the management that's the problem. Insteon needs a major shakeup at the very top!

Hope this helps...

-- R Carlson MD

Comment

Is the offset working correctly for others. I have mine set to trigger 15 minutes before sunset. But my schedule set for sunset activation is still firing at sunset.

Comment

Working...
                      X