Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimmer Module does not fully turn off light

Hello

New to Insteon. Bought a house with lots of modules. Still learning the ropes.

I have a dimmer module linked to a wired (not dimmable) module to control lights in a room. (newer hub connected)

One issue is driving me crazy. When I hit the top rocker on either module the light comes on fully as desired. But when I hit the down rocker it dims to about 25% rather than turning off. I see an LED brightness setting that controls the brightness when you turn it on but don't see how to set the brightness to zero when you turn it off.

I factory deleted both devices off the hub and factory reset both but when I add it back and relink it it behaves the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

The first thing is you are using a dimmer. With the load sense circuitry of a dimmer there is still a path for the switch to sense load. Since LED’s are so efficient they can still glow when the switch is off. There are tricks to resolve it but the easiest might be to use an On/Off relay switch

Comment

Is the LED bulb rated for use with a dimmer? Not all are designed for a dimmer.

As a test. You could add a small incandescent load on the module. In addition to the LED load. With maybe a electrical cube tap. If the glow goes away. It is the sensing circuit as pointed out. An On Off module would be a good choice.

Comment

Yes -they are dimmable LEDs. I replaced them with incandescent and the same happened. Note that this is more than a glow. I would say it is at about 25% when I want it to be off. This was working fine until a few weeks ago when this started to happen. I thought someone somehow had accidentally changed the switch config by haphazardly clicking and holding the switch buttons.

Comment

ok - Fixed it. Replaced both switches for new and now its fine. Puzzling. Now I have 2 spare switches were one may or may not be bad (or partially bad). I'm may keep non-Insteon dimmers around to start swapping them out when they get funky. Slowly phase out the ones that I really don't care if that stay automated (They went crazy here with almost every switch connected). I had a Lutron system in my previous house and had none of this kind of funkyness. This is not the first headache Insteon has caused me here.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Comment

[QUOTE=coffeybean2000;n110855]ok - Fixed it. Replaced both switches for new and now its fine. Puzzling. Now I have 2 spare switches were one may or may not be bad (or partially bad). I'm may keep non-Insteon dimmers around to start swapping them out when they get funky. Slowly phase out the ones that I really don't care if that stay automated (They went crazy here with almost every switch connected). I had a Lutron system in my previous house and had none of this kind of funkyness. This is not the first headache Insteon has caused me here.

Thanks for the help!
            Joe[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.

Comment

You may have wanted to do a power cycle on the module. To eliminate it being confused by some electrical noise.
              A Factory Reset and restoring the module. Sometimes helps.

Comment

I am trying to set my outside lights to come on automatically every night at a dimmed level. I have no problem creating a schedule, but I cannot figure out how to make them come on at a dimmed level. I am told that I need to create a scene to have them be dimmed, but I don't see any option on the scene page of the app for dimming. Can anyone help me out? thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=cdmthree;n115176]I am trying to set my outside lights to come on automatically every night at a dimmed level. I have no problem creating a schedule, but I cannot figure out how to make them come on at a dimmed level. I am told that I need to create a scene to have them be dimmed, but I don't see any option on the scene page of the app for dimming. Can anyone help me out? thanks![/QUOTE]

Not all Insteon devices are dimmable. Which model device are you using?

Comment

I’m not sure which model device I’m using but it used to come on at a dimmer level before the entire company was shut down, so I know it’s possible.

Comment

cdmthree you should be able to set the On Level of a device in the software. I use an ISY994i and it is pretty obvious how to change it on that. Just click on the device and change the value in the On Level box. You can also change it directly on the device, but it takes a few more steps. I think most of the switches use a similar procedure, but here are the steps for a Switchlinc V2 600 watt dimmer:
                      To change the SwitchLinc Dimmer's Local On-Level or Ramp Rate
                      1. Dim or brighten to the desired Ramp Rate (dimmer = slower Ramp Rate).
                      2. Press the SET Button TWICE. The light will flash once. Test by tapping the paddle.
                      3. Dim or brighten to the desired On-Level brightness.
                      4. Press the SET Button ONCE. The light will flash once. Test by tapping the paddle.
                      5. Don't link SwitchLinc Dimmer for 4 minutes.
                      To change the SwitchLinc Dimmer's Remote-Controlled On-Level or Ramp Rate
                      1. Dim or brighten to the desired On-Level brightness.
                      2. Press the SET Button ONCE. The light will flash once.
                      3. Dim or brighten to the desired Ramp Rate (dimmer = slower Ramp Rate).
                      4. Press the SET Button TWICE. The light will flash once.
                      5. Go into Linking Mode on the INSTEON Controller that will control this SwitchLinc.
                      6. Press and hold this SwitchLinc's Paddle Top for 10 seconds until the light flashes - then release.
                      7. The Local Ramp Rate and On-Level will be unchanged

Comment

Working...
                      X