Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new installation- wiring advice?

Hello,
    I wiring up my home and am trying to plan ahead as I'm planning to have mostly insteon switches everywhere (connected to a ISY994).
    i still want to wire up for traditional switches, in case we resell the house in the future, but not sure how to go about it.
    for example: in the kitchen there might be 5 light circuits (island, cabinets etc.). I'm planning to have an insteon keypad that will control all of them, as well as kitchen scenes, but where do I put the other 4 switches? will I be left with a insteon keypad and 4 redundant, confusing switches near it? not to mention that I hate the look of 4 of 5 gang boxes switches... no one evers remember what controls what...
    has anyone wired up a 5-gangbox with microcontrollers but covered it up with drywall? is there a better option than having a big 5gangbox covered with a plate with only one switch opening?
    thanks!

You can't just cover up with drywall. When I built my house I simply added everything like normal, stick 1kpl in and called it a day . Everything is scene based anyway so the kpl simply controls the switches. In my home no one knows what the switches do as we simply use the keypad

Comment

When I built my house, it was the second time I had installed Insteon, but I still came across similar issues. I assume when you mean microcontrollers you are referring to the smaller wired in devices (I don't actually have experience with those). Code wise, you cannot drywall over a junction box, you can get custom covers that would have a single decora opening everything else covered, or you could just get blank decora inserts and cover the excess slots.

My house had like 7 3-way circuits and a 4-way. To save money on switches, I eliminated as many 3-way circuits as I could by hard wiring one side together and covering it with a blank, as long as that junction box contained another spot for a KeypadLinc which could still provide the same control from that location. This also makes wiring a bunch easier since you have excess room in the junction box.

Comment

Working...
      X