Insteon vs Alexa, who owns the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon vs Alexa, who owns the problem

I have tried for ages to get my Insteon Hub 2245-222 and amazon Alexa to work together correctly but they don't. I can turn insteon devices on with my insteon controller (Android Phone) I can also turn them on by voice with Alexa. The problem I have is Alexa may turn on a light but will tell me the device isn't found or may not be responding. This occurs 24/7 and only on the insteon devices.I have tried many things but have yet found away to correct it. Any ideas out there.

Sounds like the response time from the Insteon Hub to AWS, after the voice command goes through, is taking longer then what Amazon has set to be able to give a positive response. This used to until Insteon updated something in their back-end on update 1016.

You might verify what FW your Hub is on and if it is prior to 1016 do an update.

Also, do you have cable internet or do you have something like DSL? DSL could also cause enough delay to trigger the bad response.

Comment

"Also, do you have cable internet or do you have something like DSL? DSL could also cause enough delay to trigger the bad response."

Thanks for the quick reply. Everything is up to date but when you mentioned cable internet and then DSL, it dawned on me that I'm using satellite (ViaSat} and the lag it generates may be the problem.
      Last edited by Marv C.; 09-20-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure where the problem might be but I have two houses with Insteon Devices and Alexa and it happens with both where one is connected with blazing fast Comcast Xfinity internet over 300Mbps and the other with a measly 2.5 Mbps DSL service. Sometimes when I issue an Alexa command she says OK and nothing happens. Issue the same command again and the lights and switches perform correctly or partially correct. One thing that seems to make a difference is if I have several fluorescent lights turned on which seem to interfere with the Insteon locally. Also if my furnace blower and air purifier are on it seems to - sometimes - interfere.

Comment

Working...
        X