8 Button Keypad Wired Without an Existing Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 Button Keypad Wired Without an Existing Light Switch

I purchased the 8 button keypad (2334-223) and I would like to install it without replacing an existing light switch. I want to install a new junction box higher up above the light switches (closer to eye level) and simply run the hot, neutral, and ground from the existing light switch box to the new box. Can I ignore the red load wire on the keypad and cap it so the keypad will operate as an in wall controller?

Yes you can cap off the load wire.

Comment

Yes you can. As long as you do not want the Keypads output controlling a connected load.
      Just cap off the Red as you thought and link the keypad switches to the Insteon modules you want to control.

Comment

Thank you so much. After 20 plus years of working with old X-10 system, I finally decided to enter the 21st century and have started converting to Insteon through out the house. Something tells me I will be a frequent visitor to this site...

Comment

One thing to look at.
          X10 wall switch dimmers. Stole power through the load and no Neutral power connection was needed. Insteon switches need a Neutral power connection. You hopefully will find a Neutral power connection bundle in the back of the electrical box for power needs. There is one two wire Insteon dimmer wall switch. That needs no Neutral but is limited to incandescent loads only. As it steals power through the load.

The other options. Is rewire the switch loop to provide Line and Neutral. Cap off the Load wire and then put a micro module inside the light fixture linked to the switch.

Comment

Hey, I just joined from X10 yesterday as well! Got the 8 button keypad to replace my X10 4 button unit that has stopped responding.
            Planning to put it in the same spot, also no load. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X