Controlling outdoor lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling outdoor lights

I am helping my sister out with an issue and have a question. She presently has an old X10 setup that controlled front lights from a wall switch, the lights are all plugged into an X10 plug and X10 switch in her living room. She has the same setup for the backyard through a switch in a different room. There are a couple of problems, the plugs are not rated for outdoors and X10 is unreliable and she often has to have her electrician back to repair them. Her electrician retired and the new one wants to install a new system to control these 2 outlets for >$1200.
    I was doing some reading and it seems like Insteon is the way to go, but I have questions. I see there is a supported outdoor "Insteon 2634-222 Outdoor On/Off Plug" that will work for her needs. My questions relate to the wall switches. The switches that she is presently using are not wired to control anything (i.e. not wired to indoor our outdoor lights), they just send the X10 "message" on the power lines to control the plugs outdoors. It seems like with Insteon, you buy a switch that controls an outlet or light in a room and you are then able to control it from other places remotely, am I wrong in this understanding? Do I need a hub to control these outdoor plugs? She really just wants a wall switch to control outdoor lights that are not wired to any switch, what is the best solution. She does not want the ability to control the lights from her phone or Alexa. Thanks in advance for the help.

Any hardwired insteon switch will do the job. Just link the modules to the switch. The 2477s only requires hot and neutral wires. You would cap off the red load wire.

Comment

No need for a controller if she doesn't need voice or phone control. The 2477S linked to a 2634-222 outdoor module sounds like your best bet. You could also use a 2342-xxx mini remote if you dont' want to deal with the switch.

Comment

One more question. If I put in a Insteon 2487S in both rooms. Could she have one scene that did just front lights, one that does just backyard light, and one scene that does both? And control these scenes from both rooms?

Comment

[QUOTE=ddevine;n108673]One more question. If I put in a Insteon 2487S in both rooms. Could she have one scene that did just front lights, one that does just backyard light, and one scene that does both? And control these scenes from both rooms?
          [/QUOTE]

Yes, that is possible. You would just link everything to each button the way you want the to operate. While this can be done manually, it's much easier with a hub

Comment

Thanks, great forum! I ordered the 2477S and 2634-222 for both rooms. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Hi, I need help. I was under the impression that I could connect these devices without a hub, but all installation instructions point to a hub method of installing a device. Can someone help me.
              Also, I am at the house now and there is only a line and there are 3 switches in this box. 2 are normal to control lights nearby. One only has line and neutral and that is what the previous x10 switch was plugged into. Can the 2477S work with just line and netral plugged in with no line connected? Thanks.

Comment

ddevine,

email me your phone number to [email]slee@insteon.com[/email] and I’ll call you back.

steve.
                Last edited by SteveL; 09-01-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X