Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INSTEON 2450 I/O Linc Low Voltage/Contact Closure Interface / Alexa control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSTEON 2450 I/O Linc Low Voltage/Contact Closure Interface / Alexa control?

Just curious, are there any plans to be able to control the 2450 via Alexa?

Probably not as Insteon does not want to be liable should it be used for any type of security applications and something happens.

Comment

Amazon looks at the type of devices it’s controlling and makes judgement calls as to what device type it will control. You can put the io Linc in a scene I believe and then have Alexa control the scene. In the isy it will work in programs also.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveL;n105928]Amazon looks at the type of devices it’s controlling and makes judgement calls as to what device type it will control. You can put the io Linc in a scene I believe and then have Alexa control the scene. In the isy it will work in programs also.[/QUOTE]

What [USER="10750"]SteveL[/USER] said! This also works for third-party apps that don't directly support the I/O Linc. BUT, heed [USER="9369"]lilyoyo1[/USER]'s point. If your use for the I/O Linc for any security-related applications, like opening a garage door, you may want to think twice about allowing voice control for that.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveL;n105928]Amazon looks at the type of devices it’s controlling and makes judgement calls as to what device type it will control. You can put the io Linc in a scene I believe and then have Alexa control the scene. In the isy it will work in programs also.[/QUOTE]

So has anyone with an i/o linc tried this? Ive been wanting to smarten up 3 garage doors and a gate for sometime, really want to stick with just the insteon app/hardware and alexa.

Comment

This works but I would reiterate rgunther's & lilyoyo's posts:"If your use for the I/O Linc for any security-related applications, like opening a garage door, you may want to think twice about allowing voice control for that"

Comment

Thanks SeanM.. really glad to hear this. I cant tell you how much research ive done on other gate and garage devices. While there's plenty of them, it's truly ideal to stick with insteon and not have to load another app, another gateway, etc.. As for security, My property is gated at the street and there will be no voice enabled operation down there. The four freestanding garages are 300 ft past the gate, and not connected to the home. The only way in would be from my hardwired network ;)

I will get an I/O Linc and get this going.. Thank you so much for your reply. I really thought with all the insteon sales going on, it seemed (to me) like they are selling off alot of inventory. I really thought they would be coming out with a newer line very soon. I haven't read up much on it, but that what it feels like to me.

Comment

Well darn ! Doesnt work.. bought 3 i/o modules, installed and working via insteon hub and insteon app. As expected, Alexa will not "discover" i/o modules. Created a scene in insteon for echo control, no problem.. but get this when discovering scenes from Alexa.. "Echo is unable to control scenes that include security devices" I tried discovery from my alexa phone app, alexa pc, and alexa cloud..will not "discover". Do you have a work around for this? It appears Alexa/Echo has patched this.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I found a work around for this. Use a 3rd party app like Yonomi and also have the Yonomi skill added to your echo. Log into you Hub through the Yonomi app and pull the scene into there. Then you can issue the command through Alexa.

Alternately, for users that have not bought a controller yet the ISY-994i will let you control any scene/device through voice command.

Comment

Working...
                  X