No announcement yet.

Controlling X10 devices with Insteon 2242-222 Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub 2 will break your x10 control. Sorry to say but x10 is really on its own.

Comment

[url]https://www.x10.com[/url]
      They have come a long way, seems they can be a good system on there own.

Comment

Not all X10 devices are good.
        Their 10 WiFi HUB is not very good and the App developer in China took then for a ride. It is full of issues that don't seem to be addressed in a long time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frustrateon;n109339]Yes, it is my first Insteon switch....hoping to control a bunch of X10 with it. So what is the "dual band"? 2 power line frequencies?
          [/QUOTE]

Dual band means it sends the insteon (not x10) signal to other devices via Powerline and RF.

Insteon utilizes a mesh network to talk to other devices. If this is your only device it could be signaling issue. Do note, the more insteon devices that you add, the more your x10 signals will degrade

Comment

Dual-band refers to the powerline signaling and the RF signaling that the Insteon devices use. The RF signal is more or less dependent on the powerline chip for establishing a communication rhythm in the house so if the powerline chip cannot measure the zero crossing points then all communication gets affected. UPS's can cause this but so can old electronics with noisy power supplies, power amplifiers, etc...

It is important to note that the X10 protocol is different from Insteon. When you set an X10 address on an Insteon device you will not get the full benefits of the devices like RF signaling, and multiple signal retries. When the Insteon devices send out an X10 command it is a single message along the powerline with the House/Unit code.

Comment

I have made good progress on my system. I have the 8-button on the "dirty" circuit. It is talking to the Hub, which is placed on an outlet near the fusebox.
              It seems like the 8-button unit radios the hub, and the hub sends an X10 message to the pool pump, etc.
              The Hub also appears to see the X10 messages from my CM10 unit, which still runs my programming for X10, and relays the status of the various units back to the switch.
              In this way, a glance at the 8-button switch panel tells me accurately what is on/off, despite the switch being located on a dirty circuit.
              I have only 1 light that is occasionally not turning back off from the CM10, and I can hit the new 8-button to manualy shut it off.

PS: It's not documented, but I trained the Insteon controller using my X10 XM18A. X10 yet lives! I have more X10 switches and outlets just sitting around unused, since it had been so unreliable, I stopped adding them.
              Last edited by Frustrateon; 10-07-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing
                Last edited by maryt; 10-28-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X