Controlling X10 devices with Insteon 2242-222 Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling X10 devices with Insteon 2242-222 Hub

[COLOR=#666666]I have an X10 system which is controlled by a Controller/Transponder (model TR16A). I have acquired an Insteon 2242-222 Hub. It is my understanding that it is possible to control my X10 devices with this Hub. Please explain the process.[/COLOR]
    I am aware that there is a web page which deals with "X10 Programming for Insteon Devices" but I am looking for the reverse "Insteon Programming for X10 Devices.

You would use the owners manual found on Insteons website. The instructions for controlling X10 can be found there.

[url]https://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2014/9/26/insteon-hub-owners-manual[/url]

Comment

Thank you. I looked at the manual. It refers to X10 only in the Specifications (without instructions). What I don't know is whether the Insteon hub communicates with the X10 transponder or the X10 device directly.

Comment

The 2242-222 Hub has the ability to send X10 On/Off commands and limited scheduling for X10

Just go to "add a device" inside the app and scroll down to the bottom of that page. You will see an add X10 icon. When you select it you will be taken to a screen where it will ask you to pick a House/Unit code, name, icon, etc..... After you set that up an icon will appear in the main app for you to send the On/Off commands.

Comment

The hub controls your X10 devices directly not the transponder

Comment

Hello there - I have the 2245-222 hub and I don't see any option to add x-10 devices as described above. Is there any way to have this hub control x-10? Thank you.

Comment

From what I have seen no.
              They have been officially dropping X10 support though some modules still unofficially do.

Comment

X-10 support was dropped a long time ago. As noted, some older app versions and hubs will support it. But not the current app versions or Hub II

Comment

I only got into X10 in 2004. It was still pretty much the only game in town. Insteon acts like that is SO OLD, but my X10 devices/switches have lasted for over 15 years so far!
                  (If intermittently, of course. Hard to keep the power line clean.)

Just bought the 2242-222 used, as the old unit is the only one that can work with X10 switches. I have yet to see a 20amp, appliance switch module from any of these new fancy Alexa ready home automation systems. I need them to control my pool pump, light, and equipment. Do Millennials not own pools? :-)

I thought my user name was not clever enough to be available, but there it is.

Each day, I get one step closer to making this thing work. The phone UI is terrible, and the first day I could not set my House Code Addresses.
                  Today I moved the hub to the side of the house that can talk to X10, and I can intermittently control my devices!

I would like to get it to the reliable level.

Comment

Jeff has a great set of tutorials on X10 troubleshooting. That may give you some help. [url]http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm[/url]

I have one of their XTB-IIR X10 repeater coupler. It blasts over a 10 volt X10 signal at the breaker box. All over my house. It is also the only repeater I have seen that does not step on an Insteon power line signal. In my mixed Insteon X10 setup.
                    Last edited by BLH; 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks, I moved my Insteon Hub next to the fuse box and got some more functionality. Good site.

Comment

It does sound like you possibly have power line noise, power line signal suckers or no phase coupling between the two incoming power lines.
                        If the HUB was on the same circuit as the computing equipment or UPS. Their power supplies frequently effected X10 and Insteon power line signals.

Comment

The spot I put my 8-way switch is on the circuit with my TV, UPS, etc. I had them all running through an X10 power filter (the brown one). Computer also on same circuit.
                          The Hub is not recognizing it. Does the Hub search on the power line or over WiFi? If WiFi, how would teh switch possibly know the password?

Comment

Insteon devices do not use wifi. If you are trying to connect an 8 button keypad, you would need to either use the device ID or set button to add it to the hub. Is that the only insteon device that you have? If so, where is it in relation to the hub?

Comment

Yes, it is my first Insteon switch....hoping to control a bunch of X10 with it. So what is the "dual band"? 2 power line frequencies?

Comment

Working...
                              X