Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press a button and have the button indicate what button was pressed and also send its commands makes sense to me. Stringify is a partner apparently filling some gaps for some users and Stringify could do better if the button pressed is identified. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by B-ran View Post
      On and off with Stringify will have to do ttantalo.
      Why do you need this any way?
      I know this conversation has sat idle for a while, but I'm going to chime in a little late...hopefully respectfully.

I've spoken with numerous people at Insteon/Smartlabs about this very thing. I work on a third-party product that uses Insteon's API, and we'd love to see the same thing (or at least something that gets us partway there). Insteon's keypads are among if not the best of its products. For well under $150, you can have a fully customized wall keypad with professionally engraved buttons to control scenes or individual devices. And they come in more than just contractor white and contemporary pro-builder black. But their power is limited to Insteon devices. Imagine if you could extend that beyond the Insteon border. Imagine if specific buttons could set moods the included setting the light color. Or if an All Off scene button could turn everything in the room off, even if it's not Insteon-powered.

Just as the keypad sends a command to all the devices when you press the load button (including the hub its paired with), it does the same if you press any of the other buttons, as long as they're also paired with something. So maybe it's not possible to explicitly identify individual buttons out of the box, but if the engineers could figure out a way of letting you pair a button to a virtual device, then in theory the hub could pass some identifier through the API via the event stream when that command is initiated. Then it's up to the third-party products to let you use those identifiers as triggers for events in their ecosystems when they show up in the stream. It might be kind of like how you link IFTTT and Stringify today. Maybe it's not that simple, but I believe it's worth some thoughtful consideration, and I'm not currently convinced it requires significant re-architecturing.

Anyway, those are just my quick thoughts on the matter. I believe this would be hugely useful for third-party developers, hobbyists, and other Insteon users who are desperate to integrate other products and capabilities into their Insteon homes.

Comment

Working...
      X