Google Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Home

Are we going to see Google Home support? Or is Insteon financially tied to Amazon?
    Granted, 'Home' has only been around for a couple months, but Google Assistant has been around since before Echo, and there was little movement there either.
    I love Insteon because of the vast capabilities in virtually every area. But what good is it if 'control' is restricted.

Amazon is a great shopping experience, and it's echo is geared toward that objective.

Google is a great information service, and that is what Home is geared for.

They are very different, and people choose one for those differences. Insteon should not be twisting arms favoring one over the other.

Insteon is a home automation protocol. The link to the Amazon echo is for voice control of Insteon devices, not any other Echo capability. A possible reason for choosing the Echo it that the Echo was available, Google Home was not.

Again, home automation is the objective, not information services. Apple also has voice control (i.e., Siri) and there is an Insteon product for that. What do you mean by control is restricted?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Sorry about semantics. My usage of 'control' was meant to be a reference to the end user's interface. My 2245 Hub physically controls my house, but "I" control my house with 'Home'.
      'Home' may 'use' the 2245 Hub, or maybe the Honeywell thermostat, to then control the house.

I recognize that neither Google nor Insteon can like the two systems single handedly and need to work together. Which is the topic of my concern, I haven't seen any indication that this collaboration in under way. And my skepticism is reinforced by the lack of Insteon/Google Assistant collaboration, and "Assistant' has been around for quite some time.

Comment

Just in case you didn't know contacting Google, Honeywell, IFTTT, is like trying to talk to God. You can ask, plead, and write as many letters as you like - You simply won't get a reply!

Meaning other small to large vendors have over the years contacted their support line to obtain the required API's to start the integration process. Sadly, many of the listed companies simply don't ever reply!

Honeywell is by far the worst company to ever deal with in this regard . . .
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Insteon generally does not make people aware of new functionality until it is released or just before. They could be working on things without our knowledge. Even before echo support was officially released, they had it in testing for months prior. With that said, google only released their api back in dec.
          Last edited by richaree; 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I was able to get Google Home working with Insteon via IFTTT to Stringify. Once I got started it was pretty easy. I can control my 10+ light switches throughout the house. IFTTT works with Google Home and Stringify. Stringify works with IFTTT and Insteon. Connect Stringify and Insteon and then you can create a string in Stringify for the pieces you want to control. Then you create an Applet in IFTTT (simple phrase) on the Google Assistant channel and have that control the string. I've found that if I follow a few general rules on setting up the phrasing it works well. It's not always as quick as I would like with a periodic 1-2 second delay but I'm overall pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ammarmon View Post
              I was able to get Google Home working with Insteon via IFTTT to Stringify. Once I got started it was pretty easy. I can control my 10+ light switches throughout the house. IFTTT works with Google Home and Stringify. Stringify works with IFTTT and Insteon. Connect Stringify and Insteon and then you can create a string in Stringify for the pieces you want to control. Then you create an Applet in IFTTT (simple phrase) on the Google Assistant channel and have that control the string. I've found that if I follow a few general rules on setting up the phrasing it works well. It's not always as quick as I would like with a periodic 1-2 second delay but I'm overall pleased with it.
              Oh - I can't see any problems happening using this multi cloud, multi hop method at all.

LMAO . . .
              Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Thanks to ammarmon's post, I have successfully set up Google Home (round device) and Google Assistant on Android phone to use IfTtT linked to Stringify to control my Insteon Hub to control lights in the house. Its not hard to set up, but the delay is noticeable, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Mostly 4 to 6 seconds. First Google Assistant has to invoke IfTtT in the cloud, then call Stringify in the cloud, which comes back to the Insteon Hub for action. Circuitous, but it works.

Sure wish Insteon would get their act together and work directly with IfTtT and Google Assistant! Would eliminate one or two middlemen and eliminate a lot of the delay. I would vote for IfTtT integration first!

I should add that it is great to have Stringify integration. That makes the above possible, and its cool on its own. For instance, I created a Stringify flow which detects when I arrive home via GPS location service, and switches on my garage lights. Many more capabilities exist.

Doug
                Last edited by svtdoug; 05-06-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Insteon/ISY should now have everything it needs to integrate with Google Home, it's probably only a matter of time:
                  https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome

Comment

The ISY portal has had Google Home integration for more that a few months.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm sure that Insteon have been working on integration with google home with their hub as well. They were working on Alexa without anyone knowing and then one day it was up and running. The same with Sonos.

Like Stusviews said, the ISY has had it via their portal for some months now. https://forum.universal-devices.com/...4-google-home/

Comment

I had asked Insteon support about support for Google Home and the reply was simply that it is not supported, but I found that it really is quite simple to make work using Insteon Hub HTTP commands and IFTT. With IFTT I created a Google Assistant trigger so that when I say something like "OK Google, Turn on Chandelier" it triggers a webhook action that calls my Insteon Hub with an HTTP command like http://usernameassword@myhub.publicip.com/0?1123=I=0 which is an on command for scene 23 in my hub. OK, not perfectly secure I suppose since I have to embed the username & password in my URLs and open my hub up to the internet, but it works like a charm. As for security, am I really concerned that someone might want to dig around to figure out how to turn my lights on and off? Not really. Insteon HUB http commands are easy enough to figure out using this information http://www.smarthome.com.au/smarthom...http-commands/ and now as far as I'm concerned Google Home supports by Insteon Hub through the use of simple IFTT applets - and I didn't need Stringify in the middle.

Comment

Jpedicini, can you share how you filled in the fields on the webhook app. I cannot seem to get it.

Comment

I've successfully setup the webhooks. jpedicini - Thanks for the post.

Screen_Shot_2017-12-30_at_12_09_33_PM.png Latenite1 - see the sceenshot to see what worked for me.

Now... how do I share this with each of my family members so that they are able to utilize their Google Assistant. I'd rather not have to recreate each and every command for each of my family members!!

Comment

I set it up just like that, even built a static IP and allowed the insteon port through the router and I still cannot get this to go. Pasting the link in chrome shuts off my lights, but I cannot get webhooks to do it. Anyone have an idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X