No announcement yet.

Amazon Echo/Alexa - ability to report the current temp and thermostat setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo/Alexa - ability to report the current temp and thermostat setting

The ability to control an Insteon thermostat with Alexa is great, but it would be elevated to "Killer-app" status if you could ask Alexa what the current temperature is, or what the thermostat is set to. I'm assuming that this is doable via a software change, because that information is available to the Insteon apps, so it should just be a matter of having the Alexa skill query the right api.

That's not really easy. That would require sending data to the Amazon cloud service and having them interpret it, too. Consider also other Echo compatible products. The Amazon Echo can't even tell if a light is on of off, let alone it's brightness level.

Data sent to the Hub is local.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Granted I haven't looked at the API's and exactly how Amazon's cloud interfaces with the Insteon cloud, but I still believe this should be possible. I have to assume that Alexa is using the same API's that the Insteon Apps use, and those API's certainly support querying for info from the devices. Sure, the Alexa skill would have to know how to ask for the right stuff, but that's a simple programming exercise.

Another thing that leads me to believe this would be possible is that if my thermostat is currently set to 70 and I say, "Alexa, turn up the Thermostat by one degree" it will make the change and then reply saying something like, "Thermostat is now set to 71". This tells me that Alexa is getting the temperature setting from the device via the API's, since it had no idea what the temperature was set to prior to the request.

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't possible, only that it's not as easy as you believe.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

You can say, "Alexa... Raise thermostat temperature by zero degrees." She'll answer "Setting thermostat heat to 65."

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2Uh6qfOwg
              Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                You can say, "Alexa... Raise thermostat temperature by zero degrees." She'll answer "Setting thermostat heat to 65."
                Apart from this, I'm using many fun Alexa commands like Alexa, where do babies come from? Alexa, do you have a boyfriend? and many more.

You can also try this list of commands on your Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.
                Find the complete list of Amazon Alexa Commands. All these Alexa voice commands work with Amazon Echo and Echo Dot. Try them to get best out of Alexa.

Comment

Working...
                X