Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the Press Release from Insteon. Says Richmond Capital Partners/Smartlabs is going to open a Software Development Office in Seattle. So there is some hope for better Software and Apps.

Comment

The hub app may get a facelift but more likely what will happen is a new device will be released that has software designed specifically for the task at hand.

As it stands, the hub was released in 2014. A replacement should be coming at some point. They will want to recoup their investment. The fastest way to do that would be a new device

Comment

Hoping my insteon investment doesnt spoil

Comment

Getting more complicated just like politics!!

Comment

it's not getting more complicated. Businesses exist for 1 purpose....To make money. Insteon was not purchased to start giving things away for free. The hub has been around for almost 3 years now. Why spend the money to buy them and invest only to provide a massive upgrade on a 3 year old product (which costs money). It would be a much wiser business choice to create something new from scratch, and sell it. That way people upgrade or buy new which helps them make their money back and keep their investors happy.

This isn't to say that the hub would not get some features added. I just would not expect a major update for a 3 year old product

Comment

If the product is not upgraded and a new product is released, then people cannot upgrade. Their only choice is to keep the old or purchase the new.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Upgrade carries multiple meanings. Its not just tied to software update of old equipment. Buying new may be the direct term, you would also be upgrading the system (since it's an ecosystem) by bringing in a new controller for current devices. This can happen via firmware, software, or hardware.

Comment

I fully agree that upgrade has several meanings. My reply was based only your own description of upgrade, to wit, "[t]hat way people upgrade or buy new," which implies that firmware and/or software are upgrades as distinguished from buying new.

Just for fun, lets add update to the confusion
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                  Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

HUB 2 to HUB 3 will be very difficult for some users. Backing up your system and applying to a "new hub" is most desirable.

Comment

Due to Insteons design, that may or may not be possible. From my experience, it would probably be wiser to start from a clean slate regardless of the system a person chose to switch to for their devices.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                        I fully agree that upgrade has several meanings. My reply was based only your own description of upgrade, to wit, "[t]hat way people upgrade or buy new," which implies that firmware and/or software are upgrades as distinguished from buying new.

Just for fun, lets add update to the confusion
                        Sounds like a plan

Comment

There is so much work involved for those that have advanced setups. It seems ridiculous to have to start from scratch, some of us have day jobs.

Comment

It's for that exact reason it would be better to start from scratch. Since links and so forth can be stored in devices, trace information can be left behind etc. Starting clean ensures a clean setup without things that can affect system performance.

I do feel what your saying. I have over 120 devices from switches to outlets to sensors. These devices are not only connected to my ISY but my RTI system as well. However, if I were to switch to another system, I'd wipe everything clean and start over. I've just seen to many issues with porting a system over

Comment

Or just leave what I have alone until its no longer supported.

Comment

Our systems are thriving to stay valid why not try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X