Battery operated I/R transmitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery operated I/R transmitter

I would love a battery operated I/R transmitter, I have blinds.com brand motorized blinds and would love to add them into the ISY's arsenal with a quick and fast install. Really don't want to phish I/R eyes to every window in the house. Another good use would be to use on short term uses like seasonal drop in A/C units, home Dj lights for a party space and so on. Thanks for your time!

All IR remotes are battery powered IR transmitters. But each transmitter must be tuned to the particular IR receiver. Even universal remotes need to be set up for the particular receiver.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Dear stu, not sure how to make this not sound sarcastic but here we go! In my short 28 years of life and being a college graduate in touring audio and lighting systems and a master electrician, and not living under a rock; I know a I/R remote is battery powered but thank you for reminding me! What I'm looking for is a simple device that will run two I/R codes (I.e up/down and or on/off). Let the device learn custom codes from current remote. I would use one device on each blind, ac unit and so on.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "run two I/R codes." Do you want IR to the initiate the action or be the result of the action? Or something else? An Insteon IR Receiver will allow you to convert (most) IR signals to Insteon signals. The IR Transmitter converts Insteon signals to IR.

Neither the receiver nor the transmitter are battery powered.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Hey stu, by two codes I mean just that. One code for a up/on command, one code for a down/off command. This would be a RF only device like the 2-wire switchlincs. Insteon would initiate the desired command with this (new device) reacting to the insteon signal. I have a insteon I/R transmitter currently in operation. This device would literally be the same thing just stripped down to conserve batt life.

Comment

I know what two IR codes means, but I asked if you want the trigger to be IR or the responder to be IR. It seems that you want the transmitter to be RF and the result to be an IR transmitted signal. A Mini Remote is a battery powered RF device that can send RF signals to the IR Linc Transmitter.

Comment

I want the unit to responded from an insteon device. The same as the I/R linc transmitter. This device would only operate on the RF side of the insteon's mesh network topology. Battery powered to allow the form factor to be the size of a garage door opener with a 3.5mm TR jack so only the emitter is visible from the front of the blind.

Comment

Now it appears that you'd like a battery powered IR device that can receive Insteon RF signals. Is that correct?

Comment

You got it!

Comment

Unfortunately, that's unlikely because the receive needs to be powered on 24/7 to listen for an Insteon RF signal and that would drain the battery in short order due to the level of power needed. Transmitters can be battery powered because they transmit only momentarily.

A solution is to use an Insteon IR Transmitter with an emitter that has a longer wire or use an extension with the current emitter. You may want to use white tape to cover the wire.

There are battery powered RF receivers, but those don't have enough power to control anything other than, say a beep, not even a relay. Others require eight AA Lithium batteries or a 12VDC solar power supply.

Comment

Have u played with the ezx10rf? My blinds also operate at the 433mhz RF band too. They promote that u can use it with the home link car RF system. Would u agree that I could use my RF remote to program the frequency and trigger the system the same as we disused before? Thus I would have one device (no IR wires) and achieve my end goal?

Comment

Yes, I have. The EZX10RF is a line powered RF device, not battery powered. I have not tried using HomeLink to control an EZX10RF module, but HomeLink can control X10 devices. But if your blinds and HomeLink use the same frequency, then you can probably link a HomeLink controller to the blind's receiver directly. I was able to do that between my wife's car and our GTO driveway gate operator.

Comment

Thanks, with this option I won't need battery power! Just place it behind the night stand and away I go. Nothing visible to the eye!

Comment

Originally posted by Wainert View Post
                            Dear stu, not sure how to make this not sound sarcastic but here we go! In my short 28 years of life and being a college graduate in touring audio and lighting systems write my thesis and a master electrician, and not living under a rock; I know a I/R remote is battery powered but thank you for reminding me! What I'm looking for is a simple device that will run two I/R codes (I.e up/down and or on/off). Let the device learn custom codes from current remote. I would use one device on each blind, ac unit and so on.
                            I don't have one, however apparently the Soundbase 350 can 'learn' IR codes to initiate its capacities. I discovered this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81wD1dkVs4L.pdf. The relevant content is on the third page.

Comment

Working...
                            X