Amazon Echo Control of Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo Control of Scenes

Would really like to turn scenes on and off via Alexa, the same way we do with devices.

Have you tried groups? Not quite the same as scenes but it's functional.
    This thread may be of some use... http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...s-go-on-at-100
    Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
    Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
    53 Insteon devices

Comment

I do use Alexa Smarthome groups, but some of my Insteon Scenes are more complex, such as a night time scene which turns off devices and set multiple dimming/brightness levels around the house. Takes to long to tell Alexa to set all those dimming levels. Would prefer to just say "Alexa, turn on night mode".

Comment

The Hub is an entry level device. As such, the Echo cannot be used to control scenes and groups turn all devices on at 100%, not so great if your scene, for example, watch a movie scene dims some light s and turns others off.

If you want to control scenes with your voice, then an option is an ISY with a portal subscription, albeit somewhat costly. But you can do much , much more with an ISY, such as If this, then do that.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm actually able to do it (use Echo to control Scenes) using OpenHAB and the Amazon-echo-ha-bridge on Github. Not elegant, but it works. The problem is this puts a computer between the echo and the Insteon Hub. Not a very reliable setup. Looking to take that PC out of the picture. I have been looking into ISY, or possibly moving OpenHAB to a dedicated Raspberry Pi. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

This has been mentioned much on the ISY forums but to add to just scene control it would be fantastic to have scene dimming capability via the Amazon Echo. This of course likely requires a major rework of the insteon protocol but maybe sometime in the not too distant future it would be awesome. Since many of my lights in my house are 3-way switches they are all scenes and very few actual individual devices. With the ISY you can control a scene but you cannot dim the scene natively. There are workarounds that require additional scenes for different brightness levels but that requires a different spoken name to accompany the command. Just not elegant.

Comment

The ability to add scenes to the Hub Alexa skill has already been implemented.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                The ability to add scenes to the Hub Alexa skill has already been implemented.
                Happened just like 3 days ago right? I got the email about it. Didn't pay much attention since I go ISY 99% of the time.

Comment

Yep, its very nice. I retired my whole OpenHAB system, since I can control scenes directly now. Thank you Insteon!

Comment

What is the best method for controlling multiple lights so that you can dim them in unison? I've tried using Insteon scenes but that doesn't work.

Comment

How have you used Insteon scenes. I know that you can control an Insteon scene, but what about your specific scene doesn't work? Have you tried adding all the lights you want to control to one new separate scene?
                      Last edited by stusviews; 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Scenes do not work that way. I haven't used the hub with echo for a while but you could use echo groups and add the individual devices to that group. Name it what you what and then tell that group to turn on to whatever percentage you want

Comment

Using Echo groups was the solution, thanks!

Comment

No problem. Glad you got it working

Comment

Working...
                            X