Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illusion
    replied
    I think all the features I mentioned are important, but the link limit of the current offering is the most befuddling to me. I am an early adopter of Insteon. I am a fan of Insteon. I am a serious consumer of Insteon. But I have not been able to buy or add to my system for years now due to the PLM link limit.

Home automation is one of my few hobbies, and for years now I have had to focus my efforts on existing device upgrades and network integration because any grand expansion plans I come up with are brought to a halt by the PLM link limit. I am simply not going to add an Insteon device to my system if it cannot be managed, viewed, and controlled by my ISY. Period.

As a result, Smarthome has lost out on thousands of dollars of my money over the last years. While buying a more expensive PLM Pro would be my first purchase, should it exist, it would quickly lead to a renewed Insteon product buying spree. The PLM link limit makes large home and light commercial installations very restricted. I would think this is one of the most lucrative markets for user installed/configurable automation systems. It seems crazy to let these markets look to other solutions over a single specification of a single device like the PLM.

Leave a comment:

• EVIL Teken
    replied
    grtaylor,

Thank you for taking the time to cast your vote and share your reply of how a PLM Pro can benefit you.

Leave a comment:

• grtaylor
    replied
    I'm going to add another voice to this. I've essentially maxed out my Insteon system, because of the PLM link limitations. I have 925 links in my PLM and now I'm close to the point of it simply failing to do what I need from it.

My house is 3000 SF, I have 19 6 or 8 button keypads and maybe 25 or so Switchlincs, some remotes, outdoor modules and a bunch of link sensors. I've bought in. And I've maxed it out. And I have, or had, ideas for more scenes yet. So I'm stuffed.

I need a better PLM. I need more links, stronger features, more reliability (finding stale links and purging), or I'm stuck. PLM's that fail every two years and can't host more than 980 or so links aren't really proof of this being a scalable system.

I need something better, and I too am happy to pay for it. I've paid enough, if I tell my wife now I'm backing out and changing for something else she's going to kill me.

Leave a comment:

• EVIL Teken
    replied
    Originally posted by LFMc View Post
    FYI, if anyone just joined to vote on these items and none of the buttons work, you have to send the admin an email to "activate" your account before you can vote. Don't waste 1.5 hours like I did trying to get things to work. Just send the email via the "contact us" button below.
    Leon,

I personally thank you for taking the time and effort and pushing through 1.5 hours to cast your vote. Its people like you that make all the difference in the world!

Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• LFMc
    replied
    FYI, if anyone just joined to vote on these items and none of the buttons work, you have to send the admin an email to "activate" your account before you can vote. Don't waste 1.5 hours like I did trying to get things to work. Just send the email via the "contact us" button below.

Leave a comment:

• EVIL Teken
    replied
    I wanted to bring this product idea back to the very top as current hardware revisions 2.1 continue to fail. There was development on a third party PLM from UDI several years ago and it was said this device was simply waiting for Smartlabs to offer the following.

1. Sell the PLM chips to UDI.
    2. Allow them to flash the PLM chip if and when needed on site.

Many years have since past and there has been no word from either Smartlabs or UDI regarding a International PLM which would allow others to enjoy the use of the ISY Series Controller.

One has to beg to ask the question as to why?!?!

From a business stand point offering a International and universal PLM which supports all regions of frequency / voltages would only help expand the reach and adoption of the Insteon hardware and platform. 2017 is fast approaching and I implore the powers that be to push forward and release a PLM that supports the above.

If that isn't something that will be considered at least stop blocking UDI from offering the very same. I've watched Insteon being surpassed by so many other protocols of the likes of Z-Wave / ZigBee in terms of being adopted by every market segment. In my eyes Insteon continues to be the superior home automation protocol given its dual band attributes.

But none of this matters because there isn't the same amount of hardware made available to all markets in the world. We all know certification takes time but there is no way it takes 3-4 years that's just impossible given the fact there are companies that do this very job to help companies obtain certification for those countries!

Insteon offers so many great products to many of us in North America.

Why would you limit your sales growth, potential, and adoption to such a small market segment?!?!

Joe Dadda: Lets make 2017 the year Insteon leads the market in all aspects. Show everyone Insteon continues to innovate and offers the most value in terms of features, price, and options. Lastly, encourage Insteon product adoption by helping Universal Devices Inc (UDI) release their very own 2413S PLM in hopes of offering superior Home Automation control to world regions.

Help those, who can help you . . .

Leave a comment:

• stusviews
    replied
    The ALL ON command has been deleted from currently shipping devices.

Leave a comment:

• Teken
    replied
    Still no word on the formal release of the UDI's PLM as they are still waiting for Smartlabs to sell them the Insteon chips. They have also been waiting for Smartlabs to resolve the ALL ON / ALL OFF issue which a small population have been experiencing with the current hardware 2 PLM.

Perhaps by 2015 years end??

Leave a comment:

• rjuch
    replied
    any news on 240v?

Leave a comment:

• DeanMc
    replied
    Any update on an 240v 50Hz PLM?

Leave a comment:

• Teken
    replied
    Originally posted by midrange View Post
    support international devices would be great as we don't have PLM for 220V/50HZ devices
    A International PLM is already being tested for our UK brothers in arms. Hang tight it should be released by years end or early 2015.

Leave a comment:

• midrange
    replied
    support international devices would be great as we don't have PLM for 220V/50HZ devices

Leave a comment:

• junkycosmos
    replied
    I too would be in for a PLM pro but I also agree that is Insteon is going to stay (or go) mainstream the current PLM situation needs to be worked out. Over the years I have been willing to take various small firmware bugs in newer devices as par for the course. Still some do surprise me that they are out there. However this ALL ON business with the PLM in the last 2 years is way out of bounds.

Tons of documentation here on mysetup if anyone needs it on the ALL ON problem with current PLMs
    Page 1 of 5 - Random All On Event - posted in Current Release, Betas, and Bug Reports: Today all of my insteon devices turned on simultaneously (including my garage door opening). I dont have any programs that include all of my devices so I am unsure what caused it. I would think it was something random but it happened a few weeks ago too. I have an ISY994 and am running 4.0.3. Has anyone else had this happen or have any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Teken
    replied
    Originally posted by Illusion View Post

I think this is a great idea. Of course if it cost $$$ more and is considered "Pro" is should be field firmware upgradeable!!
    Yes, I just wanted to affirm that aspect though. There is absolutely no reason in 2014 that a device can not be field up gradable. This saves the company money and down time. Increases customer satisfaction because a unit does not have to be sent back or replaced just because there is a bug in the firmware.

The famous ALL ON issue is a perfect example of this!

I understand the company has gone back to old (existing) firmware where the ALL ON problem did not exist is being pushed back on to the market to solve this on going problem.

Leave a comment:

• Illusion
    replied
    Originally posted by Teken View Post
    I would like to add that moving forward this device be field upgradable in terms of firmware. Reliability, QA must be at the for front for this new device.
    I think this is a great idea. Of course if it cost $$$ more and is considered "Pro" is should be field firmware upgradeable!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X