No announcement yet.

PLM Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 120 volt 60 Cycle only PLM's does limit anyone wanting to do more advanced programming with an ISY994i series controller.
    Last edited by BLH; 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

What advanced programming would be available from a different voltage/frequency PLM that the current PLM lacks?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Sorry if I was vague in my post.

I was referring to the advance features programming available with an ISY994i over the HUBs easier to use features.
        I have seen folks in other parts of the world. Wanting an ISY994i but can't because of their power line restrictions.
        That would also mean the Insteon RF frequency would have to be changed to the locally allowed frequency.

Comment

Bumping this thread back up to the top. Hoping that others will see this again and maybe read through the thread and see why it would be so valuable to have a PLM-Pro! All of the bits in the OP are highly valuable features. As an installer, I can say that the lack of these features in the PLM certainly is one thing holding Insteon back from dominating the market.

Comment

Lots of great ideas here! Never considered this before, but I too would be willing to pay extra for increased functionality/usability of the PLM!!!!

Comment

The only increased funtionality/usability actually mentioned is being able to use the PLM outside the US.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Bumping because this is important.

Comment

Hopefully some day.

Comment

I thought of another feature request for this module. But before I add it to the list on the first post, I wanted to know if you guys also wanted it, and if you think it is feasible.

I think it would be good for the PLM Pro to allow for ID cloning. So maybe if you need to replace a failing unit, you would not have to rebuild the entire network of connected devices. So instead of having the Insteon ID tied to the PLM itself, it resides on something like a cell phone's Sim Chip. Then if a PLM Pro failed, you could replace it simply be transferring the ID chip out of the bad one, and put it into the replacement. This would mean that you do not need to update the PLM address in all the devices in the system.

I think this could be really cool for big residential, or light commercial systems with lots of Insteon devices.

Comment

It would also allow someone to clone your PLM's Insteon ID and take over your system.

Comment

That is why my thought is to have something that requires physical access to the system. If they have physical access to the system and the set buttons, they can take over your system anyway.

Comment

My PLM wish list would be the following:
                          1. Get rid of the serial connection, go to Ethernet already. This is 2017 after all (or Ethernet & WiFi - but I prefer infrastructure devices to be wired). .
                          2. Put a minimal web interface on it (and NOT CLOUD BASED) that can at least allow for backup/restore, security, display links and status etc)
                          3. Have a REST-API interface that we can send commands, query devices, etc - similar to what the ISY has but without all the other ISY capabilities. And again, NOT CLOUD BASED.

Of course, it should be electronically solid and robust. Personally, I've never had a problem with my PLM but I've read enough posts to believe there is a serious quality issue with the devices.

Comment

A major advantage of the PLM is that is does not require WiFi, Ethernet nor any other external device. Like other Insteon devices, home wiring is all that's required.

Comment

Originally posted by daveslc View Post
                              My PLM wish list would be the following:
                              1. Get rid of the serial connection, go to Ethernet already. This is 2017 after all (or Ethernet & WiFi - but I prefer infrastructure devices to be wired). .
                              2. Put a minimal web interface on it (and NOT CLOUD BASED) that can at least allow for backup/restore, security, display links and status etc)
                              3. Have a REST-API interface that we can send commands, query devices, etc - similar to what the ISY has but without all the other ISY capabilities. And again, NOT CLOUD BASED.

Of course, it should be electronically solid and robust. Personally, I've never had a problem with my PLM but I've read enough posts to believe there is a serious quality issue with the devices.
                              For now, I would be glad if I be able to buy a 220v plm one... I would be able to to a lot of things that I can not do right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Wosnjuk View Post

For now, I would be glad if I be able to buy a 220v plm one... I would be able to to a lot of things that I can not do right now...
                                You can do that right now.
                                Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
                                X