PLM Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Illusion View Post
    I thought of another feature request for this module. But before I add it to the list on the first post, I wanted to know if you guys also wanted it, and if you think it is feasible.

I think it would be good for the PLM Pro to allow for ID cloning. So maybe if you need to replace a failing unit, you would not have to rebuild the entire network of connected devices. So instead of having the Insteon ID tied to the PLM itself, it resides on something like a cell phone's Sim Chip. Then if a PLM Pro failed, you could replace it simply be transferring the ID chip out of the bad one, and put it into the replacement. This would mean that you do not need to update the PLM address in all the devices in the system.

I think this could be really cool for big residential, or light commercial systems with lots of Insteon devices.
    Love the idea but the company will never let that happen. This thread has been going on for how long and what has been done on this front?? Nothing, and don't expect to see a Global PLM or UDI's PLM anytime soon either.

Would love to see Smartlabs prove me wrong on all points and would happily leave on my signature I was wrong all day long. But that won't happen so no worries on that count at all.
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

As I write this, my trusty ISY is rebuilding my system in the background as I move to yet another new PLM due to failure. Of all my feature requests, the lack of increase in link capacity fascinates me the most. In nearly 10 years since the upgrading of PLMs to support about 1000 links there has been no change to that spec.

I find this a bit crazy as without that I have been unable (unwilling) to buy additional Insteon products as I am at capacity on my PLM. I do not have a mansion, and this is in a residential application. I do not understand why the makers of these devices would not increase the link capacity. I do not see how a PLM (at 1000 links) could support a large residential or light commercial installation. Surely users with ISYs purchase more Insteon products than the average user who does not have an ISY (and subsequently a PLM). And as soon as they come out with a unit with more link support, I will buy more stuff...
      Last edited by Illusion; 12-19-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Illusion View Post
        As I write this, my trusty ISY is rebuilding my system in the background as I move to yet another new PLM due to failure. Of all my feature requests, the lack of increase in link capacity fascinates me the most. In nearly 10 years since the upgrading of PLMs to support about 1000 links there has been no change to that spec.

I find this a bit crazy as without that I have been unable (unwilling) to buy additional Insteon products as I am at capacity on my PLM. I do not have a mansion, and this is in a residential application. I do not understand why the makers of these devices would not increase the link capacity. I do not see how a PLM (at 1000 links) could support a large residential or light commercial installation. Surely users with ISYs purchase more Insteon products that the average user who does not have an ISY (and subsequently a PLM). And as soon as they come out with a unit with more link support, I will buy more stuff...
        +1,

This idea has garnered one of the highest *Likes* from the general public. Yet late in 2017 there isn't one sign of this or similar on its way ~ shameful!!! If the new guy who has taken over is to be taken seriously in 2018 the Smartlabs company must push forward by allowing companies like UDI to develop their own for the Insteon brand. Its quite apparent no one here has the common sense and will power to make Insteon the leading Home Automation protocol for the masses.

The minim link capacity should be 5000 links . . . A Pro PLM should offer hundreds of thousands given its 2017 and memory is cheap!!! I'll bet anyone $50.00 bucks this will never see day light or cross an engineer for review and deployment in 2018.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

PLM Pro please... with emphasis on hardware reliability, robustness and at least an 8-year warranty. These 2413S's keep dying on me and my clients. Insteon is creating a bad name for itself if it continues to produce unreliable hardware. Clients will all migrate to competitors if basic hardware reliability cannot be assured. At least upgrade the capacitors in the current 2413S so they don't die every two years. Google "dead insteon PLM" and you will see this is now common knowledge and it IS hurting sales.

Comment

If you are electronically inclined or know someone who is.
            There is a long thread on the UDI forums on the subject and how we have rebuilt the known power supply problems. To bring them back to life.
            http://forum.universal-devices.com/t...-supply-fails/

Smarthome has indicated. Problem components where discovered and starting at hardware 2.3 they have been replaced for better operation.

PLM Pro sound like a good thing. Only time will tell with Richmond Capital Partners now owning Smarthome-Smartlabs, if it may happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wintermute View Post
              you will see this is now common knowledge and it IS hurting sales.
              What is the difference in sales. I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.

Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

contrary to instructions/advice. I decided to plug my PLM into a UPS (battery backup system). Therefore I rely on the RF link to get my PLM connections into the 120v wiring of my house. I am no longer suffering blown PLM's due to powerline glitches, but it is a pain to have eliminated one whole leg of the redundant mesh properties of Insteon because PLM is not robust to voltage surges.....Whatever you do, please make the PLM well protected against voltage spikes on the line. Thanks

Comment

Is anyone still listening to Insteon users? Why isn't there a higher grade Pro PLM yet? I fear Insteon will not last much longer in the market if they don't start taking it more seriously and address the needs and wants of their user base. I have been using Insteon since almost the beginning, I almost dumped it all over the old PLC problems, only switching to an ISY-99i and a PLM setup kept me using Insteon but I had started to switch over to Lutron RadioRA, had it not been so expensive to switch I would have been long gone by now. I have been using Insteon since late January 2006 and if not for UDI and their outstanding ISY controllers I would never recommend Insteon to anybody. I would gladly pay as much for a true Pro grade PLM as I did for my ISY-994i ZWIR.

Comment

What benefit would you get from a plm pro that you already don't have by using the isy?

Comment

An ISY still needs a PLM to function, something built to a much higher standard designed to last for many years would be one thing, the thread is full of suggestions that people want, I like the idea of being able to upgrade the firmware and also an external antenna should be high on the list.

Comment

After Universal Designs designing their own PLM replacement and having some engineering prototypes to test with.
                        Smartlabs reversed their promise to provide the firmware in chips or programming images. The project had to be shelved years ago.
                        There designs are solid and we would not have the PLM we are still forced to use.

Comment

Maybe the new owner might be better to deal with, I don't know what has changed since then. I have not added any new Insteon stuff in years but I do have some spares on hand that have not been installed yet. It seems Insteon is still not very well known even though they have been around a long time. If you go to Reddit where the younger crowd hangs out the Home Automation forum has 323K subscribers and the Insteon forum only has 291. I would like to see Insteon technology licensed to other companies so it is not just one manufacturer selling it, Z-wave stuff is everywhere.

Comment

Richmond Capital Partners took over Smatlabs in June of 2017. So far the only thing I have seen is products discontinued. Now that doesn't mean there are not unannounced plans for new Insteon devices in the works.
                            They are very protective of the Insteon protocol and I doubt it will ever be shared with others. In the early days of Insteon there where a few companies that where interested with Insteon but it all fell through. Some went to the Z-Wave protocol.

Comment

There has been a lot of speculation as to what insteon is up to.

I can confirm that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that I wish I could share publicly now. For anyone that would like to talk to me directly I would be happy to talk to you.

Just email me your name and phone number.

slee@insteon.com

regards,

Steve Lee
                              Insteon

Comment

Good to hear, I can wait to hear, just hope it is not too long before you guys announce all your great new plans and devices, hope there is a big push to up the market share for Insteon.

Comment

Working...
                                X