Battery Operated Devices - Battery Level - Heart Beat - Push / Polling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Operated Devices - Battery Level - Heart Beat - Push / Polling

Moving forward all battery operated devices should be upgraded across the line to support battery level, heart beat, and the ability to push / poll the device. The heart beat interval should have at a minimum three options to be selected for reporting in: 8-12-24 hours reporting.
    Teken . . .

Does push/poll mean that we could write updates to the device without going to the device, removing it from its location, opening the battery door, waking it up and putting it into programming mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Illusion View Post
      Does push/poll mean that we could write updates to the device without going to the device, removing it from its location, opening the battery door, waking it up and putting it into programming mode?
      Since we are asking for the moon, yes!

Teken . . .

Comment

I wanted to update this thread and provide some insight as to some firmware updates from Smartlabs.

The following list of Insteon devices have low battery, heart beat, or a combination of the two.

1. Motion Sensor: Has a low battery check box and updating the programming can be done remotely with out the need to press on the set button when using the ISY under 4.2.21 Beta firmware.

2. Hidden Door Sensor: Has both low battery, heart beat, both of which can be defined for send intervals or setting the threshold for voltage for the battery.

3. Open / Close Sensor: This device has both low voltage which can be set, heart beat which can be changed for send intervals. More information can be found in this related link: http://forum.universal-devices.com/t...nclose-sensor/

Much thanks to the Smartlabs engineers who have made these features available for all of us.
        Teken . . .

Comment

I'm brand new to this and am just ordering my first motion sensor. From your statement above, does this mean there is a low battery notification that will show in the app for the motion sensor and you just have to allow it with a check box?

Comment

Originally posted by khutchin1982 View Post
            I'm brand new to this and am just ordering my first motion sensor. From your statement above, does this mean there is a low battery notification that will show in the app for the motion sensor and you just have to allow it with a check box?
            Apologies if I was unclear in my follow up reply.

If you have a controller like the ISY Series Controller you can create a program which monitors the low battery node. If this node activates the associated program you have created will send you a e-mail indicating the same.

If the HUB and its companion Apps allow you to see and monitor the low battery node I would gather you could receive warning message. As far as I am aware this required the use of HL2 Software to send e-mail alerts. This also depends upon if you have a HUB v1, v2 as those two work with HL2 Software and the latest HUB II does not.
            Teken . . .

Comment

Great thanks Teken. However, as a newbie to all of this, can you clarify the purpose of the ISY Series Controller? From what I gather, it simply allows for more functionality than what exists in the Hub, but is that interpretation accurate? Is there somewhere I can go for more information on the purpose of the ISY prior to purchasing the full system? Some examples of uses would be helpful. Thanks.

Comment

One of the major advantages of the ISY is conditional programming, if this, then do that kind of statements.

For example, our driveway lights turn on when the driveway gate opens, but only between dusk and dawn. At night, the walkway lights are at 30%. But if we walk out or buzz someone in, they go to 100% for a few minutes and then return to 30%. The living room light is set to turn on to 50% at sunset. But if I'm reading and the light is on full, it doesn't go to 50%, but stays where it is.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Great thanks Teken. However, as a newbie to all of this, can you clarify the purpose of the ISY Series Controller? From what I gather, it simply allows for more functionality than what exists in the Hub, but is that interpretation accurate? Is there somewhere I can go for more information on the purpose of the ISY prior to purchasing the full system? Some examples of uses would be helpful. Thanks.

The following reply are my own views and personal experience about controllers and is not intended to disparage or put down one or the other. There are basically two type of people in the HA world.

Those who simply like the novel idea of it all and want a plug and play approach. The HUB II would cover this requirement very well for the near term. Then, there are those with an eye toward the future knowing they will grow and want more but want to invest in the best technology that is available.

The ISY Series Controller is such a device and can be (out of the box) be as dumb or powerful as you wish. You can not make the HUB any smarter its simply a plain, simple, dumb box.

The ISY by default will add, remove, create scenes just like the HUB II. The power comes in when you wish to have conditional logic as Stu indicated which the HUB can not do. The ISY is a multi purpose device which can be upgraded (software) wise to add extra features such as the following modules: Weather, Irrigation, Network, Energy, ELK Security, X10.

The same device can be purchased at a base level (none pro) and be later upgraded at anytime via online upgrade. The HUB does not offer nor will it ever offer any of the above. The HUB is a cloud based solution and if the cloud is ever (sad) you will not have remote control of the system. There is no local based access to the HUB II it is all cloud based.

The ISY is not reliant on the cloud but can interact with many cloud based services like IFTTT, Prowl, Growl, etc The ISY by default supports Insteon & X10, the current HUB II does not. The ISY can be upgraded to support Z-Wave which allows you to protect your investment in case Insteon ever goes belly up.

The ISY also supports Zigbee which allows you to connect either to a 3rd party energy monitor like Brultech ECM-1240 / Green Eye Monitor (GEM). If your POCO supports remote monitoring of energy via the service meter you can use the ISY to collect the energy readings and then make the Insteon network do something else.

The HUB II offers none of this and never will . . .

So, you can spend $39.XX now and be happy knowing you will end up spending more money later. Or you can spend $200 - 500.XX now knowing you have just made an investment into your home, future, and HA infrastructure. One is a toy for the those who want to dabble while the other is an actual investment in technology that is being developed every day with the input of tens of thousands of people around the world.

You have absolutely no say in what direction the HUB takes, does, or will do, none.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

This is great information I really appreciate it. I do have a couple follow up questions...

When you say HUB II you are referring to the 2245-222 version right?

How is the ISY controlled? In other words, is it controlled and the IFTTT set up within the same Insteon app or is there a separate app or desktop software that is used?

Also, you say that it supports Z-Wave and Zigbee but how does that get set up? Is it simply that you add that feature to the ISY via software and then just start using Z-wave and Zigbee devices? Related to a separate post, I know SmartThings has a temperature/humidity sensor so could I just set up the ISY to use that?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Comment

This is great information I really appreciate it. I do have a couple follow up questions...

When you say HUB II you are referring to the 2245-222 version right?

How is the ISY controlled? In other words, is it controlled and the IFTTT set up within the same Insteon app or is there a separate app or desktop software that is used?

Also, you say that it supports Z-Wave and Zigbee but how does that get set up? Is it simply that you add that feature to the ISY via software and then just start using Z-wave and Zigbee devices? Related to a separate post, I know SmartThings has a temperature/humidity sensor so could I just set up the ISY to use that?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Hello Kurt,

This is going to take a few lines of text to explain it all so hang tight!

- The 2245-222 is indeed the HUB II which is the (Square Box) and the current selling unit for $39.XX. This unit does not support X10 and does not allow the use of House Linc 2 Software when compared to its previous generation models (Rectangle Box) HUB v1 / v2 model. The reason people used HL2 software is because the HUB II does not offer conditional logic so this was a good work around but required a 24/7 computer to operate the timers etc.

- The ISY is a controller just like the HUB but smarter and more flexible in its use and deployment. The ISY has a internal web page which can be used to program, control, link, etc. The ISY does not have a iOS App, these are provided by 3rd party vendors such as Mobilinc etc.

- Hardware Support: By default if you do absolutely nothing and purchase no extra's the ISY will support natively Insteon & X10. You can at anytime purchase a hardware / software upgrade kit to enable Zigbee (energy) or Z-Wave. You can only have one or the other in terms of Zigbee / Z-Wave. In the future the ISY will support via the (Network Module) two way communications for two ISY Series Controllers.

This would in essence allow you to have one unit that has Zigbee and the other with Z-Wave all under one roof and working together.
                      Teken . . .

Comment

Ok I think I've got it. The only real follow up I have is for the ISY if I were to just use the internal web page, I assume I wouldn't need a 24/7 computer right? I would simply set up the logic then let it run or would I need it up all the time similar to the HL2 software. Or if I used Mobilinc I assume I wouldn't need a computer up and running all the time I could just manage it through that app?

Comment

The only time you need a computer for the ISY is setting up the devices (e.g. scenes) and creating programs. Scenes will function without the ISY. Programs, including schedules, require that the ISY be on and connected to the PLM.
                          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I would highly suggest you also make an account over at the UDI forums and do some reading. This will not only help bridge some questions you may have but more than likely open your eyes to what unlimited possibilities await you.

We all look forward to seeing you on the other side . . .
                            Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X