Two load switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two load switch?

I know, I know, I am going to sound like a heretic here. But how about an Insteon switch/key pad that can handle 2 loads! I have boxes in my house that have stacked switches controlling two loads where I want to keep the physical switch, but also want to control them remotely. I have already tried to use a keypad and MicroSwitch, but there's no room in the box.

Just a thought.

Use a Keypad at the switch box and install the Micro Module in one of the boxes that has the load.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm on board with mjpaci on this one. I'd love a two-load switch for the kitchen applications I have. The suggestion to install in the load box is a good one, but that's not always accessible (as is often the case in cabinet and under-cabinet lighting. I'd love to see a two-load switch, similar to the two-load outlet, but with dimming. I'd also prefer it to have two separate addresses instead of relying on secondary groups, which are too often unsupported by various software solutions (including some of Insteon's own).

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
        Or replace the wall box with a 2-gang box, giving you room for two side-by-side SwitchLincs.
        It's a 3 gang box in an unfortunate place where a 4 gang will not fit (started down that route) due to the placement of an exterior door and a stud. The box is also shallow which is why the MicroModule won't fit.

Comment

What is the purpose of each switch in the box?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

A single switch that can handle 2, 3 or even 4 loads provides a way to lower the overall cost of the system. If I were designing this, I would redesign the 8 pin keypad so it has a couple of Infrared LED's on the side of it used for communication. This would replace the current 8 pin keypad. I would also design snap-on dimmer and on/off companion switches. The goal here is to reduce the cost to the end user, while increasing the profit for Insteon. (In high volume, the add on on-off switch should cost Insteon no more than $5.00 and could be priced ad $20.00/switch, $25.00/dimmer.).

Comment

Agreed. I have a duplex switch box with three switches in it and no space to add triplex box. I have an Insteon switch in one spot and two load switch in the other (sunroom, outside light, kitchen overheads). I would love to have a two load switch so that all of these can be controlled remotely.

Comment

I completely agree. I very nearly chose a ZWave solution over Insteon for this very reason. Many of the switch boxes in my place have very little additional space with the switches installed and expansion is not an option. I have even had a hard time fitting the Insteon Keypad into the box with all the existing wire packed behind it. A 2-load switch, common in other systems, would have saved me much grief.

Comment

I was actually just looking for a way to do a 2 load Insteon switch. I found the microdimmers which would be an option, but then I found out they have been discontinued!

Comment

Originally posted by jgvicke View Post
                    I was actually just looking for a way to do a 2 load Insteon switch. I found the microdimmers which would be an option, but then I found out they have been discontinued!
                    Hi, jgvicke . Where did you learn that the Dimmer Micro modules are being discontinued? They're out of stock right now at smarthome.com, but I wouldn't assume that means they're being discontinued. In fact, Insteon explicitly included these in their brand new app experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rgunther View Post

Hi, jgvicke . Where did you learn that the Dimmer Micro modules are being discontinued? They're out of stock right now at smarthome.com, but I wouldn't assume that means they're being discontinued. In fact, Insteon explicitly included these in their brand new app experience.
                      Insteon Customer Service told me today that the micro modules have been discontinued. This is putting me in a bind until I figure out another option in a crowded box.

Comment

I too would like a multi load dimmer switch. I have many installs where either a bunch of switches is not practical or is not desirable.

Regarding the micro dimmers I find it highly unlikely that they will actually be discontinued. Likely to reduce some demand for the moment due to supply chain issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X