Amazon Echo integration (app)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo integration (app)

It would be great to be able to turn on a off devices with voice commands via the Echo; just like I can with my phone (WeMo and Phillips just added this feature)

I concur! Could it actually be possible to make this happen?! I already have the Echo and have already signed up to be a developer and this would be my number 1 focus. Get Echo to control my Insteon home automation. I once came close to this with One Voice Media Center Communicator but they broke the bridge when updating to Windows 8. The Echo is fantastic with voice recognition and with the recent addition of the WeMo and Phillips devices, you would think that this is certainly possible. We could only pray that this is already being worked on!

Comment

If the Echo is going to support Apple Home Kit I would think this would be possible.
      Teken . . .

Comment

This is a no brainer for Insteon and Echo owners. If you use both of these systems, you want them to work together.
        Jeff
        "Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Comment

This is already technically possible with the webpage method using a jQuery callback:
          http://blog.zfeldman.com/2014-12-28-...d-temperature/

You need to have either an ISY with REST server support or the older Insteon Hub that allows HTTPS calls (2242-222). Newer models apparently have disabled this feature.
          Or you could have a PC running some python or other server that accepts url calls for insteon devices.

That is likely as far as it will go with Echo. If they can just support mapping some voice commands to url calls, we'd be golden.
          I have that now with Google Now and Tasker with AutoVoice on my android. You can have it catch the voice event and when it hears "Hallway lights on" it calls my ISY-994i REST server url and sends the on command. Works great with that, but having an always on microphone with better range would make that even better.

Comment

Echo integration would further increase the Insteon "wow" factor and keep it in the lead. Should support the current 2245-222 hub otherwise risk alienating current customers. Integration via scenes would seem practical.

Comment

Another request for Echo support. As that platform grows, I'll switch to an alternative if there isnt support

Comment

I'm also requesting Amazon Echo support. It's disappointing that I'm not able to control my Insteon lights with it. I've spent well over $500+ on Insteon products but if there isn't any support I'll have to switch to WeMo

Comment

Originally posted by swiss
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxwnspBqRY
                  I managed to do it with the recently released toolkit.
                  I have the source available, but I can't make this a real echo app until I fix a few bugs, and make it possible to tie to your own accounts.
                  Nice video. Hopefully you'll be able to get an Echo app out. Please keep us updated!

Comment

Though I've had voice control of all my lights for over a year using ISY with Tasker and Autovoice, the Echo's "always on" voice recognition is a GREAT feature. I currently have 28 of my Insteon lighting scenes controlled by the Echo, and not having to wrangle my smart phone is a big deal ... I can just say "Alexa, turn off the downstairs lights" as I climb the stairs and she responds quickly with a sweet "OK". Very cool.

Echo voice control of Insteon devices is possible if you're willing to do a little DIY. I'm using a Java executable running on a Raspberry Pi that emulates a "HUE" light where I've set custom URL's for ON/OFF commands which in turn send formatted REST commands to do the work. Google "ISY with Amazon Echo" for more details.

Last time I checked, UDI is looking into getting developer status from Amazon and hopefully we'll see Insteon do the same with their hub so this kind of work-around won't be necessary...
                    Last edited by azathoth; 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

+1 for Echo integration. It takes too long to turn lights on/off/dim with the smart phone apps. I just want too say, "Alexa...turn on bedroom light" how awesome would that be.

Comment

Not sure if anyone has messed with this yet: https://developer.amazon.com/public/...a-Lighting-API
                        Should make it easier to write an Amazon Lambda function without having to write a third-party Alexa skill. Just ordered my Echo so I'll start playing around with it.

Comment

I'm interested in integrating the Echo with the Insteon API, but won't buy the Echo until it's available in Canada. Please keep us posted with your progress

Comment

We are happy to announce that today you can begin using your Amazon Echo to control Insteon. To learn more, visit: http://www.insteon.com/amazon-echo
                            Insteon Stats
                            User since: 2005
                            House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
                            Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Don't think so, see this list:
                              http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...th-amazon-echo
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Jim
                              Samsung Galaxy (Android):
                              - Tab 7 (2.3.5 Gingerbread)
                              - Tab 10.1 (4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich)
                              - Note 10.1 (4.1.2 Jelly Bean)
                              - Note Pro 12.2 (5.1.1 Lollipop)
                              - J3 Sky TracFone (6.0.1)
                              Netgear C6300 Gateway Router / Time Warner Cable
                              50 Insteon / 28 X10 / 2 IP Cameras
                              Hub 1 (failed 2017)
                              Hub 2 (2014)