No announcement yet.

House Linc - On going development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More mixed messages. They are having a sale on the USB RF adapter $25.99. Ad says
    • Works with HouseLinc - a free Insteon management software solution for PC
    Are they just getting rid of them? or will there be a use for them other than with HouseLinc?

Comment

Originally posted by jkinneman View Post
      More mixed messages. They are having a sale on the USB RF adapter $25.99. Ad says
      • Works with HouseLinc - a free Insteon management software solution for PC
      Are they just getting rid of them? or will there be a use for them other than with HouseLinc?

Just being cleared out is my view.
      Teken . . .

Comment

I believe some other third party software programs. Could also use the USB RF adapter. Have not checked the parts list lately but it use to also be part of the Developers SDK Kits.
        Though it had a special Insteon ID number. Assigned to only SDK Kits.

Comment

Originally posted by msully725 View Post
          +1

I'm new to Insteon. I hit a wall troubleshooting an RF device issue, until I found Houselinc and ran the Signal Diagnostics tool. Invaluable. Was having another issue with some Scenes, and when I went to use Houselinc to help troubleshoot, I discovered my brand new Switchlincs cannot be synced? Ouch. Incorporate into the Hub or update Houselinc, either way, keep the features alive. The physical devices are awesome, but a kickass support tool improves the whole Insteon experience.

Just wanted to update, adding 0x44 to the Devices.xml (under Start -> Houselinc -> View Data Folder), under the firmware version sections for 2477D, I can now sync all of my new 2477D, firmware 7.6 switches. Not cool, but good workaround.

Comment

I too want Houselinc to continue to be supported, or if that isn't to be, then upgrade the Hub or Hub2 firmware right away to allow timed offsets from Sunrise, Sunset, Signaling Diagnostics,and much better management of links, crosslinking, and Keypadlincs. Houselinc isn''t perfect but it sure is a big help in setting up and maintaining a large system.

Comment

I also depend on HouseLinc for my home automation...I have the Hub but found that using the ios app was woefully inadequate so I switched to using HouseLinc. Sigh now I'm afraid to buy anymore Insteon devices for fear they won't work with HouseLinc

Comment

I too, have been building a home automation system, peicemeal, out of insteon devices, and a windows computer running houselinc. Please add my voice to the gang asking for either continued work or allowing it to be open sourced. I love the control and debugging that HouseLinc gives.

Comment

Just want to add my two cents here... I started buying Insteon products about a year ago. I have about 8 devices now. The main reason I was drawn to Insteon was the ability to use software like HouseLinc to configure events the way I want. I do have the Hub and App but they are not a suitable replacement because you can't do simple things like add conditions. My two new hidden door sensors will not sync with HouseLinc so now I'm further limited in what I can do with them. Software should either be open source so the community can update it or it needs to be updated to support the latest products.

Comment

I depend on houselinc software to maintain my device links. Currently having problems linking new PLM. I have over 41 devices with no hubs and no plans to add a hub, and this software should not be dropped until their is a suitable replacement with existing hardware. That is just plain ole' good customer service. No need to add new features, just keep up with the existing features on existing and new devices.

Comment

I agree the they should support Houselinc as well. I just started building my Insteon system a few weeks ago. I did some research before I decided to go with insteon. I am using MAC/IOS all the way but still have a few windows machines.

I thought I would start building my system using the APP and the HUB ( did not know the old hub was out there) and ending getting the 2012 HUB. Initial set up was pretty simple for the basic stuff. I was going to fire up one of my PC and start using the HOUSELINC program and came across all the controversy over Insteon not supporting it any more.

I am not sure which direct to go now after I have almost 1k invested in Insteon devices. I see the ISY is out there but yet another cost to the system. I am totally shocked that Insteon would release a NEW HUB that not only would not support legacy devices, but Not support a direct LINKING capability to the ISY and eliminate the PLM need? They seem to push the ISY so why not make it more compatible with the NEW HUB.

I went with the insteon system because I thought the DUAL-BAN technology was a very smart idea to make sure the system communicates. And not to flood my network requiring massive IP address . You know I was very impress that the HUB worked with my x10/ Radio Shack devices I bought 20 years ago and had stored in a box for 10 years.

I am not sure if they are getting ready to Team up with APPLE for the release of the APPLE HOME KIT and that is why they are stopping the support of Houselinc.

But I guess they feel that simple is better for the majority of the population, and for those who want to go more into detail there is ISY.

The biggest mistakes companies make ( including the one I work for) I when the developers develop they do not have users involved in the development.

In closing I think they are thinking like SPOCK said the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few. I think this is how corporate America works.

Comment

One correction.
                        The Universal Devices Inc. ISY994i, older ISY99i and original ISY26i, all use a serial connection to a Insteon 2413S or older 2412S PLM and hopefully their own PLM being developed now. There is no way a HUB can be used as the ISY controllers connection to the outside world.

Comment

The HUB is likely just a specialized PC so the main difference between a PC and the HUB is the HUB has the communication mechanism built-in into while the PC needs an interface added (i.e. USB adapter). Not knowing how they built Houselinc and HUB software architecture wise but building an application that can run on a PC AND the HUB shouldn't be that difficult. The base software would handle the management of the devices and would be the same whether run on the PC or the HUB. There would be an interface piece that handles communication to the outside world and be the difference between the software for the PC and the HUB. The communication software interface would be for the most part built once and it wouldn't need to change much even if the base software gets new functionality.

The benefit of using a laptop handles an issue on another post,how to provide battery backup to the HUB without filtering out the signals on the power-line. A Laptop has battery backup built in, something the HUB currently lacks. The cost of Laptops have gone down dramatically and aren't too far from the price of a HUB for a model that can handle the task at hand. I have an old Laptop that pretty much functions as a HUB running Houselinc, though as discussed those days are numbered since Houselinc appears to have died and we just haven't been (officially) told

Comment

+1 Please continue maintenance of HouseLinc!

Comment

http://support.insteon.com/customer/...s-in-houselinc
                              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Very glad to see them officially update this file!

Comment

Working...
                                X