Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Linc - On going development

Hello,

It has been expressed by many long time Insteon customers that Smartlabs make a lot more head way in the development of the House Linc software. There are still many Insteon products that are not listed or supported in the software package.

The diagnostic utility is very good in assisting the end user in trouble shooting COM issues etc. More conditional logic needs to be incorporated as well as variable dusk to dawn features.

The reality is most of these features should have been incorporated into the HUB.

Teken . . .
    Teken . . .

HouseLinc team, at the very least, update the devices version. Thanks.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

+1

I'm new to Insteon. I hit a wall troubleshooting an RF device issue, until I found Houselinc and ran the Signal Diagnostics tool. Invaluable. Was having another issue with some Scenes, and when I went to use Houselinc to help troubleshoot, I discovered my brand new Switchlincs cannot be synced? Ouch. Incorporate into the Hub or update Houselinc, either way, keep the features alive. The physical devices are awesome, but a kickass support tool improves the whole Insteon experience.

Comment

I absolutely agree, Stusviews! The devices file can't be that difficult to update and has been updated on its own in the past. PLEASE do it, SmartLabs!
        ---------------------------------------
        Jim
        Samsung Galaxy (Android):
        - Tab 7 (2.3.5 Gingerbread)
        - Tab 10.1 (4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich)
        - Note 10.1 (4.1.2 Jelly Bean)
        - Note Pro 12.2 (5.1.1 Lollipop)
        - J3 Sky TracFone (6.0.1)
        Netgear C6300 Gateway Router / Time Warner Cable
        50 Insteon / 28 X10 / 2 IP Cameras
        Hub 1 (failed 2017)
        Hub 2 (2014)
        Amazon Echo, Echo Dot (2), Show

Comment

Definitely think there's a lot left to do with HouseLinc. I really wish the apps could optionally interact directly with it instead of a cloud service like the Hub. At the very least, HouseLinc could offer a web interface on the local network.

Given it's free software, maybe they should consider opening up the code to outside developers?

Comment

An API would be nice. Then a lot could be done by an add-on program without needing to remake the wheel.

But just fixing the issues in .35 and updating the devices file seem like important immediate steps. There was a burst of activity for a while and then it all seemed to just stop.
            Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
            Insteon Programming: http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/insteon.html

Comment

I saw a post in the Smarthome Forums. Where a user with a brand new with a 2477D Rev 7.6. Was having syncing issues. Support told them Houselinc is now considered a legacy product. Not clear if that also means no more updates.
              Last edited by BLH; 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Sadly, I believe this product is done. But also agree with others if this software is going to be abandoned at least have the for sight to allow the open community keep the torch burning and let others have a go at it.

I can tell you from a consumer and business stand point.

Opening the API or code will not only spread the word of the Insteon gear. It will open new markets, bring in dozens of talented software dev's. But, will also inspire new things that the original designers never dreamed about.

Joe Dada, make it happen . . .

Teken . . .
                Teken . . .

Comment

The Hub is not ready to replace HouseLinc -- not even the new Hub II. Too much functionality has not been implemented there yet, and perhaps never will be. HouseLinc should not be continued until there is a suitable replacement, and support at least of the Devices file needs to continue for a reasonable amount of time after an official end-of-life announcement so users have time to evaluate and select the appropriate replacement for their application.
                  Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
                  Insteon Programming: http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/insteon.html

Comment

There should have been a sunset announcement at a minimum so we can make other plans. That combined with a suitable product to replace it. At this point making it open source would be a great idea. For Smarthome the key is getting hardware sold, so making the software open will attract programmers to extend the Houselinc product which will lead to more hardware sales.

Comment

I absolutely agree with jkinneman!

HouseLinc software is important to many of us, and development needs to continue.

If SmartHome is unable or unwilling to do this, then they should release the code to the open source community. This will only increase the value of their INSTEON products, increase demand for them, and make existing customers happy. Really... this is a no-brainer!

Comment

I rely heavily on Houselinc to control my Insteon devices. I have a dedicated Windows 7 desktop with a 2413UH PLM. I use Houselinc for conditional events which my second generation Hub (not the Hub II) cannot provide. I hope that Insteon does not abandon Houselinc as it is a very good product. I have heard that Insteon is sunsetting Houselinc. Is it because it is free? I will be glad to pay for the product if that is the reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post
                          Sadly, I believe this product is done. But also agree with others if this software is going to be abandoned at least have the for sight to allow the open community keep the torch burning and let others have a go at it.

I can tell you from a consumer and business stand point.

Opening the API or code will not only spread the word of the Insteon gear. It will open new markets, bring in dozens of talented software dev's. But, will also inspire new things that the original designers never dreamed about.

Joe Dada, make it happen . . .

Teken . . .

THIS.

Open APIs enhance adoption rate and community around a product. HouseLinc was already free and works well, make it free and open, and watch what happens instead of abandoning the value it has. I have been using Insteon for 7 years now, mostly with my own programs against a USB modem with Linux and the plmtools code base.

Nobody develops better than everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by xsnrg View Post
                            Nobody develops better than everybody.
                            Everybody agreed that somebody should do it. Anybody could do it, but nobody did
                            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

If INSTEON can't do something to allow HouseLinc development to continue, I am going to be massively regretting the mistake of buying their products. The Hub is not a solution. It is a toy for people too stupid to realize that cloud servers are not trustworthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X