Trailing edge dimmer switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailing edge dimmer switches

I've been doing a significant home remodel, changing most of my halogen/incandescent lights to LED alternatives. Nearly all of the high end LED lighting products explicitly call for a trailing edge dimmer switch. While I've been lucky and my Insteon switches have worked with most of them, I've seen flickering on some of them, and had to buy different lighting products.

There was a dark week when I almost had to move my whole kitchen to Lutron switches because the lighting solutions we had chosen were flickering with the Insteon switches. I found an alternative lighting solution, but it was a close thing.

I believe Insteon's dual band technology, virtual 3-way configuration, and overall integration are industry leading, and the strength of the company. So Insteon's next generation light switch products should keep those "control side" technologies exactly the same, but there should be an option for the customer to purchase a switch that uses trailing edge dimming on the "electrical side" so that Insteon's customers can purchase the latest in LED lighting products.

PLEASE don't make me buy and integrate Lutron control system just because my wife has fallen in love with a particular light fixture!

I would pay at least 50% more for a trailing edge switch if it allowed me to integrate new LED-based light fixtures into my existing Insteon lighting system. Since I'll never buy an incandescent or halogen light fixture again, I'd almost certainly standardize on the trailing edge switches for any new installations.

I want to second this almost word for word. Though I would say that an updated dimmer that is more compatible with LED should not require a whole lot of increase in pricing. It should be about the same in fact. Sure it took engineering to get it done but the BOM should be about the same so in the long run the MSRP shouldn't really be any different.

Comment

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Love to impress people with the automation in my home, but hate it when they ask why all my lights flicker.

Comment

Working...
      X