Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
    If we are just throwing out ideas...

If you can hook up that AC to a 220v contactor, you could use an Insteon Micro Module to engage the contactor and link that to an Insteon remote or switch.
    OK, so you're talking about pairing a 2443-222

....with something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Packard-C230C...=fsclp_pl_dp_4
    ... a Packard C230C 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor 208/240 Volt Coil Contactor?

OK, I might do that after all. It's just a tad above my pay grade, but I can be walked through it. Where does the contactor get mounted?

Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Usually they are mounted in a box or in an enclosure. The link below takes you to the Elk-9200 that BLH was referring too for a visual. It doesn't have to be that big though.

https://www.elkproducts.com/_literat...0_Instructions

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
        Usually they are mounted in a box or in an enclosure. The link below takes you to the Elk-9200 that BLH was referring too for a visual. It doesn't have to be that big though.

https://www.elkproducts.com/_literat...0_Instructions
        OK, thanks for that, makes it pretty clear. I just gotta be sure this will be OK with this AC unit. It's got RESET & TEST buttons on the plug, like a GFCI outlet. I guess I just tear that off and go for the stripped wires, but I've never seen that before.
        Jim Speiser
        Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

That sounds like a GFCI plug. Taking it off would defeat a safety feature. Though it would probably work.
          Another thought would be feed an outlet inside the enclosure. That fits the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
            That sounds like a GFCI plug. Taking it off would defeat a safety feature. Though it would probably work.
            Another thought would be feed an outlet inside the enclosure. That fits the plug.
            This is getting more involved than WAF would permit.

Another thought: This A/C comes with a full-function remote. Doesn't Insteon make an IR blaster or universal remote that can be controlled by an Insteon sender?
            Jim Speiser
            Payson, Arizona

Comment

I don't believe there is a Insteon Module like that presently being made.
              The 2411T IRLinc Transmitter (receive an Insteon Command and send an IR command) has been discontinued. Along with the 2411R IRLinc IR Receiver

Comment

I don't believe there is a Insteon Module like that presently being made.
                The 2411T IRLinc Transmitter (receive an Insteon Command and send an IR command) has been discontinued. Along with the 2411R IRLinc IR Receiver
                Figures. Someone at Insteon is peeking into my household, finding out what I need to make things work, and then discontinuing those products. Trust me, the list is getting looooong.
                Jim Speiser
                Payson, Arizona

Comment

Many of the new model Air Conditioners. Have electronic controls and remotes. Cycling the power On and Off with a automation module. Would probably reset the unit and it would default to off and you could not control it.

There is a different plug for 220 Volt 15 amp and 220 Volt 20 amp outlets. If you make it the 20 amp style. A 15 amp Air Conditioner would still plug into the module if it has both style slots on the output but the 20 amp plug on the module will not fit a 15 amp outlet.

The PAM04 is the 20 amp style AC input plug. Output has the slots to fit a 15 or 20 amp plug on the device being controlled.
                  I would go further and suggest that the owners manual for your air conditioner would tell you specifically not to do this. An AC unit has timers and control circuits to prevent a compressor over-pressure condition. You have probably not been damaging the unit by powering it on like that, but you are possibly defeating its built-in protections.

Comment

Originally posted by James R. View Post

I would go further and suggest that the owners manual for your air conditioner would tell you specifically not to do this. An AC unit has timers and control circuits to prevent a compressor over-pressure condition. You have probably not been damaging the unit by powering it on like that, but you are possibly defeating its built-in protections.
                    The owner's manual doesn't say anything about using smarthome equipment. Also, I have been using the PAM04 for a while before it...defecated, and it did seem to tolerate the on/offs pretty well. At least I'm not aware of anything internally that I might have fritzed.
                    Jim Speiser
                    Payson, Arizona

Comment

I used two PAM04 for 20 years to control pool and spa pump. Eventually the x10 alarm clock failed to function properly and there were none to be found. Also I went through probably 4 PAM04's. I now have two Insteon 2477SA 240v load switches. Not supported by the new app but still function and can be programmed with the old app. That's been around three years now. The 2477SA's are hard wired. I figure, when they go, I will build my own relay as others have suggested. And the cost would be less than what I paid for the 2477SA's.

Everyone's suggestions are good. If you've changed out the PAM04 before it's just about that simple.

Comment

The 2477SA modules. NC and NO versions are no longer on the sales site.
                        I believe marked discontinued. Last time I looked before the sales site was completely redone.

Comment

It's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations when using electronic controls and remotes for air conditioners. While it may be tempting to use an automation module to cycle the power On and Off, it's worth noting that this action could potentially reset the unit and cause it to default to the "off" mode, resulting in a loss of control.

Regarding the different plug types for 220 Volt 15 amp and 220 Volt 20 amp outlets, it's crucial to use the appropriate plug for the corresponding outlet. If you attempt to use a 20 amp plug on a 15 amp outlet, it will not fit properly and can lead to electrical issues or damage.

Furthermore, the owner's manual for your air conditioner is likely to provide specific instructions regarding its operation and any precautions to be taken. It's advisable to adhere to these guidelines as the AC unit's timers and control circuits are designed to prevent compressor over-pressure conditions and ensure the proper functioning of the unit. By deviating from the recommended usage, you might inadvertently undermine the built-in protections of the air conditioner.
                          Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-29-2023, 09:08 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Originally posted by smiyaoo View Post
                            It's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations when using electronic controls and remotes for air conditioners. While it may be tempting to use an automation module to cycle the power On and Off, it's worth noting that this action could potentially reset the unit and cause it to default to the "off" mode, resulting in a loss of control.

Regarding the different plug types for 220 Volt 15 amp and 220 Volt 20 amp outlets, it's crucial to use the appropriate plug for the corresponding outlet. If you attempt to use a 20 amp plug on a 15 amp outlet, it will not fit properly and can lead to electrical issues or damage.

Furthermore, the owner's manual for your air conditioner is likely to provide specific instructions regarding its operation and any precautions to be taken. It's advisable to adhere to these guidelines as the AC unit's timers and control circuits are designed to prevent compressor over-pressure conditions and ensure the proper functioning of the unit. By deviating from the recommended usage, you might inadvertently undermine the built-in protections of the air conditioner.
                            Thanks for your concise response. I'm painfully aware of everything you say. My main worry is this: Is this a trend, putting GFCI controls in line with the power cord? Because the exact same conversation you've read above also applies to my new swimming pool filter motor. My old one worked great. But my new one has those consarned TEST/RESET buttons, and automation definitely does NOT work with it. i'm afraid I'll wake up one day, and every appliance I want to automate will have those buttons, and I'll wind up having a yard sale.
                            Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-29-2023, 09:08 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam
                            Jim Speiser
                            Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                            X