Secure I/O Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure I/O Link

Currently, there is no support for the I/O module with Alexa (and Google Home.) Security has been suggested as a reason relating to garage door control. I accept this. However, it makes sense to me to have a second Insteon skill for Alexa, one that operated on a secure basis. This skill would require a password to continue. This would easily allow I/O Link to be used for a secure application such as a garage door or gate. My front door has a Schlage deadbolt that I can control via Alexa. It asks me for a pin to unlock but not to lock or for status. If I miss the pin x times, the skill is disabled and can only be re-enabled via the Alexa app. This sort of approach seems a workable solution by Insteon for people like me that just installed the garage door kit and want to use it with Alexa. However, this simple solution to allow I/O Link use makes it needlessly cumbersome to use in applications whereas security isn't an issue.

My suggestion is to introduce a second I/O Link for secure applications. The existing Alexa Insteon skill could be then modified to allow all I/O Links to be used and only require code for the "secure" version of I/O Link.

Set up the I/O Linc in a “scene” which will then allow Alexa to see it and control it. It will not allow for “status” (open/closed) at least that I have figured out but it does work.

Then, to achieve the same concept as a “secure” unlock mechanism with a PIN number (like your Schlage deadbolt) create an Alexa routine that asks for voice feedback before it runs the “open” command.

Mine has been running this way for at least a year this way and works pretty well.

Comment

If I enter the wrong PIN a certain number of times, the skill will be removed until I re-enable it using the Alexa mobile app. For folks like myself who have just installed the garage door kit and wish to utilize it with Alexa, Insteon's proposed method looks like a realistic option. However, this easy workaround for enabling I/O Link utilization is overkill for use cases where data security is not a concern.
      Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-19-2023, 01:24 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
      X