40/50A 240v Split-Phase Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40/50A 240v Split-Phase Switch

It would be nice to be able to control my EVSE’s Power with Insteon. shutting off my electric vehicle in case of power problems, or using an automation scheme to only charge during off peak hours (but not controlled by my vehicle) would be nice.

While I know a 30A switch exists, it has been discontinued - hard to track one down. I could use my EVSE AT <30A.

Due to an issue with a shoddy connection causing resistance inside of the plug of my EVSE; a runaway thermal event melted the plug and receptacle and almost burned my house down. Thankfully my Insteon smoke bridge and first alert smoke detector alerted me when smoke developed as I have one installed above the plug. I was home.

I have replaced the equipment that has failed, but it would be really nice to have ability to immediately shut it off in case I’m not home.

It would also be nice to have a second Switchbox for 50A in case my paranoia kicks in about whether or not I shut off the stove before going on vacation.

Of course, hardwired would be best as I Would not trust a 50 amp load on any type of “Nema 14-50 plug and receptacle cable.” This stuff should be installed by a licensed electrician.

I would just buy a 50a 2 pole relay and have an insteon on/off switch control the coil of the relay.

the isy994i has the capability to watch for pricing changes. This is available with a software update.
    it also supports insteon.

Comment

🤔 Oooooo, I didn’t even think of that. I do have an ISY-994i so this may be the solution. Since I plan to have the ISY-994i auto power down the EVSE in case of any detected smoke event, i’d like to get this set up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for the workaround!

Comment

I would just buy a 50a 2 pole relay and have an insteon on/off switch control the coil of the relay.
        mygroundbiz
        Last edited by SusanWong; 06-12-2020, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X