Bridging devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridging devices

I would like to see a wireless bridge to connect to separate buildings with separate power feeds. I have a shop building that is about 100' from my house. I would like to control shop lights from my house. Following someone's suggestion, I tried using 2 of the outdoor remote switches that are connected on the outside of each bdg. It worked great for the first few weeks but now it only works ocassionally. The signal is just too weak. They should be able to produce a unit with a stronger radio. (My car remote works just fine; I can get wifi from the house, too) but the insteon signal is just weak. Maybe a unit with external antennas. It also might be that the metal case of the outdoor switch actually impedes the signal. (I know the signal will not penetrate my garage door.)

Perhaps another solution would be a 'slave' hub/controller. Since I have ethernet connectivity then by putting a slave hub in the shop then it can communicate with the house hub over ethernet/wifi.

One more... A bridge device that could connect 220V and be installed inside the electrical panel to bridge both "hot" busses of the panel.
    Insteon is the most reliable and simplest way to turn your home into a smart home. Control, monitor, and automate lights from anywhere
    Last edited by cnwilson100; 12-17-2019, 06:32 AM.

Because I have ethernet access, I can utilize a slave hub in the shop to interact with the home hub through ethernet/wifi.
    Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-22-2023, 02:15 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Because of how poor the signal is, unfortunately. They must be capable of making a model witha more robust radio. (My car remote works just fine; I can get wifi from the house, too) but the insteon signal is just weak. Maybe a unit with external antennas. Another possibility is that the signal is weakened by the outside switch's metal housing
      Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-19-2023, 01:44 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Me too same problem .. I am also looking for a solution My Fortiva Account
        Last edited by Katherine6356; 10-14-2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

The FCC Database photos of the wall switches. Show the Insteon RF antenna on the rear of the assembly. So a metal box would affect the RF range.
          The modules have a power line derived power supply. So an external antenna would have to have a isolation component. Maybe a capacitor to isolate it.
          The plug in modules have the antennas near the front of most models. So range should be better.
          Power line noise can effect all modules.

Comment

Working...
          X