Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Wish List

Here are some items:

For dimmer units, have a configurable flag which actually disables the ability to dim. This is useful if a non-dimmable light source is currently being in use.

For dimmer units, have a configurable minimum level.

Add an IO module with 4..8 ports, where each port can either be an input or output (check out the ports of the Raspberry Pi). Optionally, the unit should have a 5Volt or 12Volt output.

Add a 'speaker' module with a library of sounds where different events can trigger a different sound at a configurable volume.

Controlling a non-dimmable load with a dimmer. Even at 100% ON can cause problems. There is distortion of the AC waveform at the Zero Crossing. As it takes a small voltage to turn On the triac used for dimming. Some loads will not work correctly or damage could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      Controlling a non-dimmable load with a dimmer. Even at 100% ON can cause problems. There is distortion of the AC waveform at the Zero Crossing. As it takes a small voltage to turn On the triac used for dimming. Some loads will not work correctly or damage could happen.
      Very much this. Don't put in a dimmer when you need a relay, bad things happen (in some cases: fire).

As for the IO module, Smartenit makes them in Insteon compatible with tons of IO ports.

My personal wish list: an ELV capable dimmer. I know it'll be $100+, but honestly it would be much higher quality than the current TRIAC dimmers (which are the best smart TRIACs around) and I'd buy them by the bucketload.

I'd also like a return of custom etched paddles, and the new style on/off switch plates available for purchase to retrofit older switches. And new 240V contactors.

Comment

Working...
      X