More Sensors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Sensors!

As you know, insteon has the motion sensor, but that's about it, how about including some new sensors so that the smart home capabilities can be expanded to incorporate more automated functionality. With these sensors, the possibilities are endless, turn lights when it gets dark, when it's too humid, turn on the AC, if sound is detected, flicker the lights to it and make a light show, if it's too hot, turn on the AC, if it's windy out automatically close the pool cover (so leaves don't get in it). Also, a weather vane and smart home weather station is another thing that could be made with this. Like I said, the possibilities are endless.

- sound sensor
    - temperature sensor
    - humidity sensor
    - wind sensor
    - light sensor

Using the insteon iolinc with any sensor with a low voltage trigger will allow you to accomplish the same thing.
    With that said, the motion sensor hardwired will provide all that you listed except for wind and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
      Using the insteon iolinc with any sensor with a low voltage trigger will allow you to accomplish the same thing.
      With that said, the motion sensor hardwired will provide all that you listed except for wind and sound.
      I don't believe it provides humidity, at least my MS2's don't, but the thermostat does that really well. I get motion, temperature, and light, and with a good USB power source the temperature is spot on.

Comment

Even w/o humidity, the iolinc works great for other sensors that would allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by George Scott View Post
          - sound sensor
          - temperature sensor
          - humidity sensor
          - wind sensor
          - light sensor
          +1, yes please! It seems every few months (for years now) I go looking to see if INSTEON has come out with a humidity sensor.

And yes, I know lilyoyo1 will say you can accomplish it with an iolinc, or use an ISY with another brand of humidity sensor tied together. But that defeats the ease of use that is INSTEON.

I want to mount a humidity sensor way up high near my ceiling close to the shower in the bathroom. Do I really want to add an IOLinc sensor; how ugly would that be?

And I shouldn't have to spend ~$300 to get my humidity sensor (by having to purchase an ISY and another brand hub and sensor), and then learn how to get them all to work with one another.

As an aside, has the INSTEON developers created ANY new sensors recently?!!! They promised a new version of the Hub app early this year...but failed to provide. Ughhh. Nevermind

Comment

Working...
          X