Occupied / unoccupied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupied / unoccupied

I used to use Homeseer with X10 and Insteon years ago. Now I find the new insteon hubs needs an occupied/unoccupied switch so the user can stop sensors from firing when they are home or switch to unoccupied when away. Basic stuff!

I was thinking of programming two hubs. Occupied hub switched on when entering the front door with a remote and then switch off when leaving and switching on the unoccupied hub. Found out if you power down a hub, most devices won't come out of the unknown state when yoy plug it in again! A bit lame... Any ideas on how to accomplish the two occupied states?

Originally posted by alneese69@gmail.com View Post
    I used to use Homeseer with X10 and Insteon years ago. Now I find the new insteon hubs needs an occupied/unoccupied switch so the user can stop sensors from firing when they are home or switch to unoccupied when away. Basic stuff!

I was thinking of programming two hubs. Occupied hub switched on when entering the front door with a remote and then switch off when leaving and switching on the unoccupied hub. Found out if you power down a hub, most devices won't come out of the unknown state when yoy plug it in again! A bit lame... Any ideas on how to accomplish the two occupied states?
    Get an advanced controller such as the ISY or homeseer that is capable of accomplishing what you want to do. The hub wasn't designed for conditions.

Comment

ISY or homeseer is costly... I am retired on a fixed income. Must be a way to do this without the huge overhead.

Comment

It's worth mentioning that "stopping sensors from firing" isn't really possible if Insteon sensors are paired with a hub or other Insteon device. Once paired, a sensor will always broadcast its state when that state changes (along with some other occasional info, depending on the device). More importantly, I believe that if the paired responders can't be found, you could negatively affect the battery life of the sensors, since they will attempt to send their status repeatedly to the paired responders since it's not acknowledged.

Comment

Besides not being able to switch from an occupied space to an unoccupied space and back again, I just found out if the house experiences a power failure when the power returns, all devices report unknown. I won't know what I will need to do to fix that until I return to this particular house in a few weeks. Looks like you can't even turn off the power to the hub without losing the programming.

Comment

That is correct, all door and motion sensors are reporting unknown status.

Comment

That is correct. Until a battery operated module. Wakes up {is in a power saving state} and sends a status. It will be unknown.
              You would see the same thing if you where using ISY994i.

Comment

this stuff isn't cheap and the best it can do is turn lights on or off? Is there a way to hack into the hub?

Comment

Originally posted by alneese69@gmail.com View Post
                  this stuff isn't cheap and the best it can do is turn lights on or off? Is there a way to hack into the hub?
                  Even if it were possible to hack into the hub, that still wouldn't help you as the devices need to be activated in order to share their status. Insteon sensors were designed for controlling other insteon devices not really for monitoring. If there was constant communication with the hub like there is with hard wired devices, the batteries in your sensors would constantly die

Comment

Working...
                  X