Backup/Restore of Insteon Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup/Restore of Insteon Hub

My hub recently went out and while Insteon support was great and sent me a new one, I still had to register all of my devices again and set up all of my scenes again. Not fun! I think it would be FANTASTIC if I could backup or export my hub configuration and then, restore/import that configuration into a new hub. No more manually entering everything again. No more trying to remember how all of your scenes worked, etc. Everything dies eventually but a hub dieing doesn't have to be catastrophic.
    Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
    I blog about smart home stuff too!

This I agree with. While easy, it's a tedious process made unbearable with large installs.

Comment

The Hub app would have to go through a substantial rewrite to do it well. The current apps don’t have any link database editing capabilities, they rely on a ‘remote set button push’ feature to create or delete links. The app can’t do that if the original Hub is broken. You could create new links to the new Hub with the backup data, but there would be no way to remove broken links to the old Hub from all your other modules.

IMHO, the easiest solution here is to use their Hub repair service instead of replacing the unit.

Comment

It is definitely a great idea. I'd love to be able to back up my configuration to the cloud. I'll pass the suggestion to the developers, albeit I'm sure this is a feature they are aware of.

Comment

Been asking for this for years

Comment

I came here to research this exact topic. This is the second time I’ve had a hub die and it’s really unacceptable that there’s not an easier way to deal with this. I happen to have a backup hub, but the idea of having to go back and re-program every load and scene is beyond frustrating.

I’ve been so-so on the Insteon solution the entire time...but I’ve kept investing by adding more controllers. I think I may go research current alternatives before I waste the time to set this up again.

Comment

Check with tech support. Last I heard, they were running a repair program on the 2245 Hub that would fix and return your Hub. Or, if you are handy with a soldering iron, there are also DIY instructions here in the forum. Either way, then you don’t have to reprogram anything.
              Last edited by TFitzpatri8; 03-31-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Hey all,

Cloud backup and restore of hub configurations and device links is a high priority for us. We do not have an ETA on this at the moment, but we are looking into getting this working for all of you. It definitely would make hub upgrades and replacements much easier! Just wanted to let you know that it's on our radar and is a priority item for us.

Comment

Glad to hear that Sean. Thanks.

Comment

That is great news! I have literally been searching for a good home automation hub that allows backups. What I've learned is that zwave seems to be a royal pain to work with and most consumer level hubs have backup issues as well. There are some alternatives but I really don't want to leave unless I have to - I really like Insteon.

So thanks for the update. It's good to know that my Insteon investment is getting better all the time.

Keep up the good work!
                    Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
                    I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

• TFitzpatri8
                      TFitzpatri8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you see this reply from Insteon in another thread?

“If your Insteon Hub model 2245-222 has stopped working (no LED on front of the hub), Insteon will either repair or replace it, even if it's past the 2-year warranty - restrictions may apply. Please follow these steps to take advantage of this service:
                      Double-check that the Insteon Hub hasn’t simply been unplugged from power (yes, we’ve seen this happen)
                      Take a photo of the underside of your hub (we are looking for both the Insteon Hub ID and the revision number). Please ensure that it is a clear photo and that the text and numbers are legible.
                      Attach the photo along with proof of purchase to an email that includes your name and address and send to hubfix@insteon.com. Indicate whether you would prefer a replacement or a repair. Read the details below to see which option makes sense for you.
                      Should I get my hub repaired or replaced?
                      Insteon devices are uniquely paired to the Insteon Hub and therefore tied to that hardware. While we are working hard on a way to migrate these links, today the option to preserve links along with account information is only possible through a hub repair. Repair does take time to process (up to 1 week after receiving the hub) and in rare cases hubs are not repairable due to the nature of a failure. Once you receive the repaired hub, simply reconnect it and you’re all set.
                      If your house setup is small or you don't mind factory resetting Insteon devices and reconfiguring your account, getting a replacement hub is the better long-term solution. While it’s possible to add a new hub without resetting your Insteon devices, it’s important to know that device communications will be degraded and sensor battery life reduced since these devices will continue to try and “talk” with the hub that is no longer there.

We hope you find this information helpful.
                  Working...
                  X