Apple Watch and Insteon Camera for security conscious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Watch and Insteon Camera for security conscious

I think i saw this on another thread and I assume I know whats happening, but does anyone know if its possible to NOT use the external IP lookup for apple watch viewing of a camera?

Let me explain:

First off, everything works.
    I have a foscam camera, added it to the IOS app with the HUB and can view it when inside my home on the same wifi network but only on my phone (not my watch).
    The apple watch cannot see the camera UNLESS I add a port forward for the camera on my ISP FW/Router. When I do that it works.

Like I said, I am security conscious and prefer NOT to have any inbound ports open on the FW, so I choose to VPN in (which also works but only for the phone, not the watch).

But why the IOS apple watch app requires a NAT'd DNS/IP (i assume) entry to view when my watch is on the same wifi network as my phone does not make sense,

Anyway, I have not been able to find a way to get the watch to view LOCAL wifi cameras without a port forward.

Any thoughts? Or is the a feature request?

Chuck

Sound like an Apple watch problem, not the Hub.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I opened a ticket and got some feedback from support and only supported way via NAT. You might be right. Maybe the watch only supports dns entries for apps.

Comment

Thanks to this article I can learn more. Expand my knowledge and abilities. advanced md
        Last edited by Charles9654; 02-28-2022, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I have a close to goof today and it has been jumping up not splendid for the latest a few days.. Could you on the off chance that no one genuinely minds in any case, fix it?
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-19-2023, 01:18 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
          X