WatchOS 5 breaks the Insteon app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WatchOS 5 breaks the Insteon app

if you have an Apple Watch and download the latest WatchOS the Insteon app will no longer work in the watch until Insteon updates it. The phone app works fine on ios12

I just got an Apple Watch 4. There isn't even an option to install the Insteon app. I hope this is fixed quickly. That was one of the reasons why I bought the watch.

Between this and the new Alexa app's "there was a problem" message, I am worried about future Insteon compatibility with apps.
    Last edited by LakeRat; 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Here's what Insteon support told me about this:

"I apologize about the issue you are experiencing with your Apple Watch and the Insteon for Hub application. We are currently aware that with the latest OS5 update for the Apple Watch, the Insteon for Hub application will no longer function. Our development team is looking into this and we hope to have an update to share with you soon."

Hopefully, they will have this up and running again quickly.

Comment

WatchOS 5 came out on September 17th. IOS and Watch OS are updated every 12 months. So, 1/6th of this version's life is already over.

If Insteon cannot be loyal to their customers, how can they expect us to be loyal to them? The company needs to stop acting like this is a hobby for us. We spend large amounts of money to get all of the Insteon components for our installations. If they want Insteon to succeed, they will have to show that they have not abandoned us.

Insteon, please update your software!

Comment

Here we are....end of November...still not working. Very disappointing.

Comment

Please, Insteon, post a public status update with an ETA for when the Apple Watch app will be fixed. Thank you!

Comment

Any update on this??? I recently purchased an Apple Watch and this would GREATLY expand the functionality. Please make sure to bring this back!

Comment

I would probably reach out to the guys over at Homeboy to see if they could add support to their app for watchOS. http://homeboycontrol.com/

Comment

It's now been 4 months since watchOS 5 came out. No Apple Watch updates to the app yet. It's beginning to look like Insteon doesn't care any more, even though their SmartHome.com website is still pushing Apple Watch compatibility.

The Apple Watch & Insteon Hub team up to monitor and control your home. Use the Apple watch to control lights, activate scenes and more.

Comment

Still not working. It’s now March. They are full of it when they say they are working on it. What do I do now? I have 30 switches and other devices in my house that I cannot use with my watch. Is there something else I can use to achieve this?

Comment

I asked Insteon Support about the status and their reply is below. They actually suggested using another App until theirs gets fixed. It doesn't give me much hope. Not thrilled with the other app either.

Thank you for contacting Insteon Technical Support.

We are currently in the process of going through the app for updating but we currently do not have an ETA. As for the Apple Watch; although the Insteon for Hub app does not work directly with Watch OS5, we are recommending that you look at the app "Yonomi" which integrates with our Hub and has an Apple Watch app.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoodford View Post
                        I asked Insteon Support about the status and their reply is below. They actually suggested using another App until theirs gets fixed. It doesn't give me much hope. Not thrilled with the other app either.

Thank you for contacting Insteon Technical Support.

We are currently in the process of going through the app for updating but we currently do not have an ETA. As for the Apple Watch; although the Insteon for Hub app does not work directly with Watch OS5, we are recommending that you look at the app "Yonomi" which integrates with our Hub and has an Apple Watch app.
                        I also got the same reply

Comment

Unfortunately, Insteon has an abysmal record for software creation. Takes an extremely long time for updates and even the apps they have made (for Windows especially) were... um... not very professional. I'm guessing they are outsourcing this work so that it doesn't get a high priority or sufficient oversight. (I wrote my first program in 1966 so I have some expertise in this area).

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Notta View Post
                            if you have an Apple Watch and download the latest WatchOS the Insteon app will no longer work in the watch until Insteon updates it. The phone app works fine on ios12
                            After downloading the OS, I cannot be able to install it. Whenever I try to install it, My screen goes black and it's going to crash and I don't understand why this happens? Does anyone have any idea that why this happens and what's the solution to this? I communicate with the apple application support and they found that there is an issue from the OS side.

Comment

If appleais saying it's an os issue the only thing you can do is wait until they fix it in an update

Comment

Working...
                              X