Cheap Home Alarm System????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Home Alarm System????

Okay so I have a very small house, I currently have a do it your self system I installed from amazon..however I want something better and smarter that integrates with my smart phone...well I have a insteon camera and hub, so I figured naturally I should look into a insteon alarm system to replace my current one.

Basically I would be completly happy with two motion alarm sensors OR window opening sensors.

How do I do this, and make it so it makes an audible alarm??? I see there are these motion sensors you can buy..but how do I make this into a functioning system??

Any tips would be appreciated.

Insteon is a home automation system. It is not meant to be nor should it be used as a security system. To do otherwise is to create a false sense of security. Certainly, there are a lot of similarities between home automation and security, but the latter is secure, the former is not.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stusviews is right in that it won't be a monitored system, however, it never hurts to have an extra deterrent on top of doing all the regular things (i.e.lock doors and windows, automatic lights, camera's etc.) I'm like you and just want a way that I can self monitor when I'm not home. What I do, is have all my window and door sensors linked to an on/off outlet. Whenever any window or door is opened it turns on my outlet and my outlet then sends me a text alert that is was turned on, so I know that somewhere a door or window opened. To keep from getting text alerts every single time a door or window is open, I leave the on/off outlet always on when I'm home (so that the doors/windows are not turning the outlet on and thus sending a text). I then turn off that outlet manually whenever I'm leaving the house for an extended period of time, so that it will turn back on (and alert) when a window or door is opened. You could hookup some kind of noise alarm to an outlet that would go off when the outlet is on. Just a thought. Again, not nearly as good as a real home alarm, but I like it just for my own convenience.

Comment

A security system will function when power is cut, a favorite of burglars (that's why a flashlight is used). Insteon won't!

If a security system is needed, then only a security system will suffice. OTOH, as long as you're aware of the limitations, and deterrent or notification is OK. It's OK, not great.

MrJoji, I thoroughly enjoy your notification technique.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Ismart Alarm is your answer. Can buy at bestbuy etc...

Comment

Originally posted by MrJoji View Post
            Stusviews is right in that it won't be a monitored system, however, it never hurts to have an extra deterrent on top of doing all the regular things (i.e.lock doors and windows, automatic lights, camera's etc.) I'm like you and just want a way that I can self monitor when I'm not home. What I do, is have all my window and door sensors linked to an on/off outlet. Whenever any window or door is opened it turns on my outlet and my outlet then sends me a text alert that is was turned on, so I know that somewhere a door or window opened. To keep from getting text alerts every single time a door or window is open, I leave the on/off outlet always on when I'm home (so that the doors/windows are not turning the outlet on and thus sending a text). I then turn off that outlet manually whenever I'm leaving the house for an extended period of time, so that it will turn back on (and alert) when a window or door is opened. You could hookup some kind of noise alarm to an outlet that would go off when the outlet is on. Just a thought. Again, not nearly as good as a real home alarm, but I like it just for my own convenience.

This is exactly what I want to do for an alarm. I understand everyone's concern for a dedicated alarm system, but it's really not that big of a concern to me having a makeshift alarm system.

Basically I'm looking for a wire a horn into a insteon on and off wall outlet.

A horn like this:
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I can wire it to be always on, and I'll just have the outlet turned off, and have it trigger on if a window is open for example would work fine in my situation.

My question is, how do you wire it? I'm looking for an always on horn.

Comment

You need a 12V power adapter to supply power for the siren. Plug the power adapter into the on/off outlet.

Comment

Hi there, i heard good reviews about Ismart Alarm.

Comment

Put your modem, wifi, and hub on a battery back up (UPS), lock your outside electrical box. This will create an additional barrier for anyone trying to get past your "security" as well as WiFi cameras. Plus it has the added benefit of when the power goes out, depending on the size of the UPS, you can get an hour or two of additional connectivity for home devices like laptops that also have their own batteries. Purchase a good UPS though as it will both protect your electronics and give you good clean power once the backup kicks in, look for a pure sinewave one. From experience my router eventually got toasted from my original battery back up that was not a pure sinewave.

Comment

I suggest Aqara smart home system including Aqara Hub with a built-in alarm siren, Aqara motion sensor, Aqara door and window sensor.
                    Here you can find the details:
                    https://www.aqara.com/us/home.html

Comment

Working...
                    X