Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armed/Disarmed state: Like a basic security system need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armed/Disarmed state: Like a basic security system need.

So I have HouseLinc, and after trying the X10 ActiveHome system before, this seems like a huge gap in the INSTEON set up. I only switched to INSTEON because X10 modules didn't work well signal-wise. But the ActiveHome security module had a distinct armed and disarmed state which could be changed via remotes or programmed functions in the software. I have a door sensor right now, but it seems the best I can do with it is have it trigger another module.

INSTEON also lacks the equivalent of a siren/alarm module, it seems in general.
    Last edited by ocdtrekkie; 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM.

All the Insteon gear I've seen appears designed for home automation and control, not for security. Security gear is generally designed with additional security-specific features like battery backup, supervision, and tamper detection, and it normally uses a different RF frequency specifically intended for security devices.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
      All the Insteon gear I've seen appears designed for home automation and control, not for security. Security gear is generally designed with additional security-specific features like battery backup, supervision, and tamper detection, and it normally uses a different RF frequency specifically intended for security devices.
      That seems somewhat crippling. X10 offers security features, and it's obviously a far less secure system than INSTEON is. If I wanted a truly secure system, I'd get a 24/7 monitored system. I just want the ability to get notified if a door opens while I'm not home. But that needs some way to specify whether or not I'm home.

Comment

X10 security systems require X10 SecuriLink modules as well as a SecuriLINK Security Console. The ELK security system seems to be the choice among posters for integration with INSTEON.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I did exactly what you want using houselinc, door open/close switches (whatever they're called) and a spare on/off appliance module.
          When you leave turn the spare appliance module off and use it as a flag
          When the doors open you can have houselinc act depending on the state of the appliance module.
          I don't recall exactly how because I upgraded to an ISY, but basically you make an event...

If 'door opens' and 'appliance module is off' then 'send email/beep/whatever' - when the appliance module is on nothing happens.

I trust that makes things a little less cloudy

Comment

That'll work, but keep in mind that, as Tfitzpatri8 indicated, it's not a security system. No power, no security.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

No house AC power, dead sensor batteries, or someone trying to intentionally block the signal will prevent the desired response.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                X10 security systems require X10 SecuriLink modules as well as a SecuriLINK Security Console. The ELK security system seems to be the choice among posters for integration with INSTEON.
                You don't need the security console at all. They'll work with the X10 ActiveHome software and it's security plug-in. With the exception that signal reception on X10 was terrible, and ActiveHome software tended to crash randomly, I could get email notifications if my door opened while the system was armed. And I had a keychain remote to arm/disarm.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  That'll work, but keep in mind that, as Tfitzpatri8 indicated, it's not a security system. No power, no security.
                  The computer has battery backup, and I'm notified if the power goes out already, and in the case of the X10 system at least, the wireless transceiver worked off the computer's power. But really, this seems like an excuse to avoid offering critical functionality because I'm not trying to guard my place with Fort Knox grade security.

One wonders why INSTEON has a "Security and Monitoring" subforum when two moderators seem opposed to the concept of INSTEON functioning for security or monitoring. o_O (And yes, just monitoring needs an armed/disarmed. I don't need a notification my door opened twice because I went to take the trash out.)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Insteon-A...-232/204753640

Kits like this, specifically meant for "alerting" you to motion or door opening, as advertised, should need some sort of armed/disarmed state. I don't use the Hub mind you, so I don't know if INSTEON's cloud solution offers such a feature or not. But it would just make common sense.
                  Last edited by ocdtrekkie; 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ocdtrekkie View Post
                    One wonders why INSTEON has a "Security and Monitoring" subforum when two moderators seem opposed to the concept of INSTEON functioning for security or monitoring.
                    At least one security system is fully compatible with INSTEON. Many other security systems can be made INSTEON compatible.

But an INSTEON network, in and of itself, is not meant to be a security system. It's just too easy to disable the system.
                    Last edited by stusviews; 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought that it would be obvious that a system that relies on power would not operate when the power is out - likewise, sensors that use batteries will not operate if you let the batteries go flat - perhaps you'd like me to point that your gasoline powered vehicle will not run if you let the gasoline run out?

Perhaps, as a newbie, I stepped on someone's toes by mentioning a solution that works "like a basic security system" just like it says in the title - In no way do I suggest that this is a security solution, but it does do what the OP asks "If I wanted a truly secure system, I'd get a 24/7 monitored system. I just want the ability to get notified if a door opens while I'm not home. But that needs some way to specify whether or not I'm home."

Although I do appreciate the advice of this board, perhaps you old timers would take the opportunity to step back and look at what is being asked instead of the the knee-jerk reaction of "not designed to do that; can't be done". Not every solution comes in a box pre-labeled and idiot-proofed for those with no imagination.

Also, just so you're aware, it's just too easy to disable any kind of security system - any kind of so-called security system does no more than alert of an unauthorised access if you can keep it working against an intruder who has more brains than bricks. Since I have to state the obvious, bricks break windows and the windows are not connected to sensor system so you'll need motion sensors which can also easily be bypassed.

Moderators may now remove my posts if you feel offended by them or if you feel they do not suggest an accurate solution to the original poster.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Something "like a basic security system" is entirely different than a notification only. It's easy to use INSTEON to be notified if a door opens, but it is NOT "like a basic security system" and it would be a disservice to suggest that it is.

Also, just so you're aware, it's just too easy to disable any kind of security system - any kind of so-called security system does no more than alert of an unauthorised access if you can keep it working against an intruder who has more brains than bricks. Since I have to state the obvious, bricks break windows and the windows are not connected to sensor system so you'll need motion sensors which can also easily be bypassed.
                        A unqualified disagreement. Any half-way decent security system is extremely difficult to disable. A good security system does a lot more that just provide alerts. Glass breakage sensors are installed, when needed.

And, in order to bypass a motion sensor, it must be found and approached without sensing motion.
                        Last edited by stusviews; 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

(sarcasm mode = on)

Absolutely Stu, you're completely right.

There are, of course, no ways at all to disable external phone lines and no way to jam cell phone signals. External sirens cannot be disabled with common DIY products and internal sirens can heard throughout the neighbourhood.

Regretfully, Mr Trekkie, I must concur with the experts. The HouseLinc software is not designed to do that; It simply cannot be done.
                          I suggest you go back to the ActiveHomePro Software with X10 which seems to do exactly what you want, if only we could solve those range issues with a bunch of wire hangers (and stop the simple jamming method that has been well documented).
                          Alternatively, you could pay the big boys by the month, or "invest" in an ELK system which will do waaay more than what you're asking, but I'm afraid that would appear to be the only way to carry out the simple task you're asking about.

(sarcasm mode = off)

<sigh>

Comment

Often times folks will suggest ideas without really considering all the downsides. I'd hate for a casual user to install automation equipment in lieu of security equipment, then be surprised when it doesn't work the same. Once you understand the difference, you can use the equipment how you wish and assume all responsibility.

For what it is worth, some users have figured a way to substitute another Insteon module for an active/inactive switch using HouseLinc's conditional programming. Plug in an unused on/off module, turn it on when you leave and off when you come home, then use the state of that module as an event condition to determine whether an email is or is not sent. Or use an ISY, which supports the use of variables as program conditions.
                            Last edited by TFitzpatri8; 10-07-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelocks View Post
                              (sarcasm mode = on)

Absolutely Stu, you're completely right.

There are, of course, no ways at all to disable external phone lines and no way to jam cell phone signals. ... .

(sarcasm mode = off)

Sarcasm aside, where did I say that? Or even imply it?

And where did you get this idea?
                              Also, just so you're aware, it's just too easy to disable any kind of security system -
                              Last edited by stusviews; 10-07-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X