Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone trying to link Insteon with an Alarm.com system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone trying to link Insteon with an Alarm.com system?

I just had an Alarm.com system installed in my home. Since I have Insteon all over the house, I don't want to use their Z-Wave smart home capabilities, but I would like to tie into it somehow. I know they have the ability to bridge to old, wired hardware, so I was curious if it would be possible, through either some Z-Wave or Insteon dry contact switches, to link these ecosystems together. For example, I could imagine wanting to trigger an "all on" scene when the alarm goes off. Or trigger scenes based on the system being armed or disarmed. I'm curious if anyone's figured out how to pull this off.

IMHO...The simplest way would be to identify an auxiliary output on the security panel. You would connect that to an IO Linc (Sense & Ground) which would then be the controller for the All On scene. If the security panel only has one output you would be limited to just that one scene. If it had multiple outputs you may be able to configure different actions for the different outputs across multiple IO's.

Comment

I'm told that with the wired system bridge, they could connect something to an alarm output, so that would probably do what you're suggesting. I could use the ISY or something like that, then, to trigger on that closing. I don't know what else I could do there. I'm hoping there's something like an I/O link in the Z-Wave world that I could control through rules in the Alarm.com app, then maybe use the ISY trigger activities based on its status.

Comment

Search for "dry contact closure" for z-wave and you will find some. Just remember to verify that it works with your existing Z-wave components. They are not all interoperable.

Comment

Thanks. I'll be at CES next week, so I expect to look around for some options there, too. The Qolsys folks, who make the panel I'm using, will also be at the Z-Wave booth, so I'm hoping they may have some ideas!

Comment

Exploring integration options for my new Alarm.com system and existing Insteon setup. Seeking advice on linking them through Z-Wave or Insteon dry contact switches for customized scenes triggered by the alarm status. Any insights or successful solutions?
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 11-07-2023, 04:45 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Yes, it is possible to integrate your existing Insteon smart home system with your new Alarm.com system using Z-Wave or Insteon dry contact switches. This will allow you to trigger Insteon scenes based on Alarm.com events, such as arming or disarming the system or triggering the alarm.

Here are two methods for integrating your Insteon system with Alarm.com:

Method 1: Using Z-Wave Dry Contact Switches
              1. Install Z-Wave Dry Contact Switches: Purchase and install Z-Wave dry contact switches near your Insteon devices that you want to control. These switches will act as intermediaries between Alarm.com and your Insteon system.
              2. Connect Z-Wave Dry Contact Switches to Alarm.com: Enroll the Z-Wave dry contact switches into your Alarm.com system. This will allow Alarm.com to control the switches remotely.
              3. Connect Z-Wave Dry Contact Switches to Insteon Devices: Connect the dry contact outputs of the Z-Wave dry contact switches to the inputs of your Insteon devices. This will allow the Z-Wave switches to trigger the Insteon devices.
              4. Create Automation Rules in Alarm.com: Create automation rules in Alarm.com that trigger the Z-Wave dry contact switches based on Alarm.com events. For example, you could create a rule that triggers the "all on" scene when the alarm goes off.

Method 2: Using Insteon Dry Contact Switches
              1. Install Insteon Dry Contact Switches: Purchase and install Insteon dry contact switches near your Alarm.com control panel and your Insteon devices that you want to control.
              2. Connect Insteon Dry Contact Switches to Alarm.com: Connect the dry contact outputs of the Insteon dry contact switches to the inputs of your Alarm.com control panel. This will allow Alarm.com to detect the state of the Insteon switches.
              3. Connect Insteon Dry Contact Switches to Insteon Devices: Connect the dry contact inputs of the Insteon dry contact switches to the outputs of your Insteon devices. This will allow the Insteon switches to trigger the Insteon devices.
              4. Create Automation Rules in Alarm.com: Create automation rules in Alarm.com that trigger the Insteon devices based on the state of the Insteon dry contact switches. For example, you could create a rule that turns on all Insteon lights when the Insteon dry contact switch detects a contact closure from the Alarm.com control panel.

Both of these methods will allow you to integrate your Insteon system with Alarm.com and trigger Insteon scenes based on Alarm.com events. The best method for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

Comment

Working...
              X