Help with "Best Practice" Integration with Garage Door Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with "Best Practice" Integration with Garage Door Lighting

I semi-recently remodeled the garage and installed a couple of Liftmaster jackshaft garage door openers. Part of this was done to clear the 4-post lift. The other part was done to keep the ceiling clean visually. At the same time I installed roughly 600 watts of flush mounted T5 fixtures.

I did not install the remote mount lighting that comes with the openers as this would be relatively weak compared to the main garage lighting. I would like to activate the main T5 fixtures automatically when the door opens. I would also certainly like to be able to turn on the garage lighting manually and remotely turn off the lighting. Currently the switch is a 3-way with one in the garage and one in the house (although they are on opposite sides of the wall near the door.

I have purchased a Liftmaster 823LM wall switch. Obviously this is not directly Insteon compatible. It turns on the load when the door is opened or the safety beam is broken. One item to keep in mind is that it is only good for 300 watts of load.

My initial plan was to connect the load of the Liftmaster switch to "Sense 1" of a 2443-222 Micro On/Off Module and connect a regular wall switch to "Sense 2". Thinking about this further, I think this may cause unintended operation. For example, if program for 3-way toggle mode and I manual turn on the lights though the regular wall switch, but then break the beam for whatever reason, the lights would turn off for a period of time when I did break it and them back on 4 minutes later.

What I would like to have happen is for the lights to come on if either switch commanded them on and off if neither commanded them on. I am not sure if this is possible with the 2443-222.

I could also use a Keypad as a remote controller inside the house and not use "Sense 2", but I can't see this as a solve all.

Of course I could just abandon the idea of the Liftmaster switch and use a motion sensor. I could also use a garage door contact closure since this is already installed as part of the garage HVAC system, but I use a Hub II and I believe a timer may not be possible there. Likely need to use IFTTT or Stringify?

Want to try to help with my brain-teaser? Thanks.

Install a Micro On/Off Module with sense #1 (yellow) connected to the Liftmaster 823LM switch red (load) wire and the Micro Module load terminal conneced to the T5 lighting. Provide line to both the Micro Module and the Liftmaster 823LM switch and neutral to the Micro Module. Ensure that everything works as expected.

Replace the inside switch with any Insteon controller device wired to line and neutral. Cap the load wire. You can use an On/Off switch or keypad or a dimmer switch or keypad because the load is not connected.

Create a scene with the Micro Module plus whatever you used to replace the inside switch as both a controller and a responder.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      Install a Micro On/Off Module with sense #1 (yellow) connected to the Liftmaster 823LM switch red (load) wire and the Micro Module load terminal conneced to the T5 lighting. Provide line to both the Micro Module and the Liftmaster 823LM switch and neutral to the Micro Module. Ensure that everything works as expected.

Replace the inside switch with any Insteon controller device wired to line and neutral. Cap the load wire. You can use an On/Off switch or keypad or a dimmer switch or keypad because the load is not connected.

Create a scene with the Micro Module plus whatever you used to replace the inside switch as both a controller and a responder.
      Thank you Stu.

If I understand correctly, you are proposing that the Micro module would be left in default latching mode. The only issue I might see is if I turned on the scene from the controller and then later opened the door or broke the safety beam (if the door was already open). Then the Liftmaster switch would provide voltage to the Sense wire (which would not do anything since the micro would be "On"), but 4 minutes later would stop providing voltage. I believe this would turn the lights off.

Functionally, this would only be an issue if I were to turn the lights on via the scene and then later walk out of the garage for some reason. This does happen in the evenings while washing cars. I would need to get around this by ensuring I turned on the lights via the Liftmaster switch manually. This would provide constant voltage to the Sense wire no matter what. Not a major issue I suppose.

Comment

Achieving the ideal solution for each and every situation is not trivial. A more powerful solution than just hardware is needed. An ISY would allow you to create programs to accomplish what you want. Unfortunately, the cost is not trivial, but it'll open up solutions for problems you didn't know existed

Actually, you'll find solutions to make life easier.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This may be the situation for some LED Garage lights, yet not to the hazardous degree. The RF impedance can frustrate the working of the controller at times, yet this isn't the situation with all the LED lights. There ought to be no disarray. read garage door opener reviews to know more about the newest products, latest trends, and bestselling items.

Comment

Working...
          X