Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of trouble with Hub. Should I use an ISY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of trouble with Hub. Should I use an ISY?

At home, I have about 50 Insteon wall switches (mix of keypads and dimmer switches) all controlled by an ISY99i and I run lots of programs and scenes on a daily basis. I have never had a problem with lights not goi g off or on when they are programmed to do so.
    My in laws recently moved to a condo and I convinced them to install some Insteon dimmer switches (maybe 5 or 6) and I bought the Hub from Amazon. I have been programming a handful of scenes using the Insteon app for iOS on my iPhone.
    While I can turn the lights off and on using the app on my phone (under the Devices tab) when I program scenes to run (certain devices to go on at a certain time on a certain day and then off at a certain time) more often than not, the programs do not run. The lights do not turn on or they don't turn off, or sometimes even after deleting the scene, they still seem to randomly run. Short story long, I have had nothing but trouble trying to run some very basic On-Off scenes using the Hub programmed from the iOS app.
    My question is whether I should just go out and buy them an ISY connect it to their router and show them how to program from the computer? I thought the Hub and the iOS app would be easy for them manage but if it doesn't work reliably (and for some reason it never has) it is of no value.
    Thx in advance.

An ISY994i for them and an upgrade for yourself
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Interesting. Upgrade to what? (Although, back to the original question - I assume there is no reason why I could scrap the Hub and just plug in and reconfigure an ISY?) I wonder though why I am having so many problems with the Hub? The scene are completely unreliable.

Comment

You indicated that you have a 99i. In the event you need to replace or add a device, be aware that not all new devices are fully supported by the 99i. There's a generous discount for upgrading from a 99i to a 994i

If scenes are not functioning correctly, then there's a communication problem that needs to be solved before doing anything else. If it's a schedule difficulty, then I've heard that complaint involving the Hub. An ISY should not have any difficulty with scheduling.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X