Keypadlinc with only two wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypadlinc with only two wires

I think I know the answer, but tho would ask anyways. I want to put a keypadlinc on each side of the bed, so we can turn on all exterior lights, or monitor the garage door, etc.

I found out that one of the boxes, only has two wires. Would it be possible to use a dual band keypadlinc, and still function like the other one on the other side of the bed.

The on and off buttons will controll a light over the bed. One on each side.

Thanks

Does each existing wall switch control both lights or do they each control a different light. In either case there is a solution.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Each Keypadlinc would control one light on its side of the bed. The end goal is to control the light, but really use the other 4 keypad to monitor the status of the garage door, turn all the exterior lights on/off, etc. I was thinking about a post you did about putting something in the light fixture, which would give me control of the light, but not sure if the Keypadlinc would do what I wanted. I am running a ISY with Z wave.

​Thanks

Comment

At the fixture on the side of the bed that has a switch with only two wires, change the wires to the switch from white/line black/load to white/neutral and black/line. Cap the KPL red load wire, install a Micro Module in the fixture box. Linc the KPL as a controller of the Micro Module.

Or describe the wiring in the fixture box and I'll walk you through it
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks, I will get up and take a look at the fixture this weekend.

Comment

Got a chance to get into the light fixture, and these are a few photos.

The thought was to add a Insteon Microswitch and the light fixture, and then reverse the wires to the switch. I am going to use a new 6 button switch. I am just not sure which wire's I need to switch to make it work.

Thanks very much for the help on this.
            Last edited by AnthemAVM; 08-29-2016, 09:50 AM. Reason: added photo's

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Which wire is connected to the fixture black wire, the one with white tape or the one with a red wire nut?

Comment

Stu, Thanks very much for the reply. the white wire with the tape on it is connected to the lamp black wire. I am finding some weird wiring in my house, and really at a loss to understand it.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That's standard wiring for a switch loop. Line and neutral enter at the fixture. The neutral (white) wire is connected to the fixture white wire. The line (black) wire goes to the switch and returns (load) to the fixture black wire. Unless you can replace the 2-wire Romex between the fixture and the switch, you'll need to install a Micro Module in the fixture box.

At the fixture box, reconnect the black and white wires going to the switch to be line (black) and neutral (white). Leave the white (neutral) wire connected to the fixture white wire. Connect the KeypadLinc line (black) and neutral (white) wires and cap the red load wire. Connect the Micro Module to line and neutral and the Micro Module load to the fixture black wire. Link the KPL as a controller of the Micro Module.

Comment

Stu,

Thank very much, but I thought I understood it, but don't. So I am going to get the black and white from the switch and connect them to what? Can you help point me to which wires go to the MM?

Thanks

Comment

The fixture box has line and neutral. That Romex has white (neutral) already connected to the fixture white. Leave that connection in place. The black wire from that same Romex is the line. Connect those wires (line and neutral) to the switch box Romex, black and white, respectively, to provide line and neutral for the KeypadLinc. Cap the KeypadLinc red (load) wire.

Connect both line and neutral at the fixture box to the Micro Module also. Connect the load terminal from the Micro Module to the fixture black wire.

Comment

Stu,

I owe you a huge favor, thanks very much.

Comment

Stu, I only get one chance to get in the box, as it is above my fiancé side of the bed. I made a before and after and have a few questions, and was hoping you could confirm I have done what you said.

1. The black wire from the light fixture, where should it get connected?

2. The yellow sense, where does that get hooked up? I believe the purple sense, doesn't get hooked up.

Thanks very much.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Looking at the instructions, I think this was one of my missing steps?
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X