Motion Sensor Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Issues

Trying to setup basic motion sensor situation to turn my outside lights on with motion then turn off after 5 minutes. I have a MS (2842-292) outside my garage and have it linked to two Light Switches (2477S) in my house. Using Hub (2245-222). One light switch controls lights on the front of my house and one switch controls the lights on the back of my house. I have a scene setup to start at 8 pm and stop at 6:45 am. Under Devices in the Insteon app I have it set to night only, It's told to stay on for 5 minutes, I've tried Occupancy Mode both ways. Sometimes it works perfect, then sometimes it turns the lights on, but won't turn them off. Sometimes it turns on the lights on the front of my house, but not the back or vice versa. It may turn both lights on, but not turn off the back, but does the front. Any suggestions?

Quick note... the scheduling will not affect the motion sensor at this time. Once it triggers, it will send its command regardless of the schedule. The schedule would be used to turn the lights on/off at a specific time. You did the right thing by enabling night only mode for this case.

Occupancy mode just means that if the motion sensor detects motion, after it has been triggered, it will re-start the countdown. With occupancy mode off, the motion sensor will ignore any further motion and continue with the countdown. It will send the Off command, then wait 1 minute before it looks for motion again.

To test the existing links I would take the motion sensor and go to each switch. Open up the battery cover and tap on the set button. It should turn that light switch on or off. If this works at both locations then it sounds like there may be a range or signal issue. If that is the case you could get a range extender (2992-2xx) to beef up the Insteon signaling. If it does not work then you may need to redo the scene/links.

I am sure there will be more suggestions for this issue but this would be a quick test.

Comment

SeanM, I haven't brought the MS inside to test it yet like you said, but if it was a range/signal issue, wouldn't I also have issues of it not turning on? it always turns the lights on, just not always off.

Comment

You would think so, but that is not always the case. Remember that you are at the early stages of troubleshooting so it is important to check the basics first. This was more of test to see if the links were truly working or if something was missing since you stated that sometime the front would turn on and not the back.

To your question, If a device can turn a load on, but not off, it would tell me that the light fixture was either creating a lot of interference or it is an incompatible load. We have seen in the past where we can turn a fixture ON, but not OFF. Mostly because of the amount of noise the fixture introduces onto the line.

You can try capping off the load wire of the main switch and then check for regular behavior of the switches and motion sensor if you suspect this. Make sure everything is off first. Then, trigger the MS and check to see if the LED's on the side of the switches went up or not. After you are confident that your Insteon devices are working, reconnect the load and check behavior again. If anything varies, you know it is an issue with the fixture

One other thing you might check are any splices in that area. Make sure they are tight.

Comment

How can you determine when the motion detector is out of range? Or still in range?

Comment

Originally posted by richd View Post
            How can you determine when the motion detector is out of range? Or still in range?
            What about this question?
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-22-2023, 02:37 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

There are numerous benefits to thinking about integrating sensors into your workplace tech stack, from ensuring that the lights turn on when an employee enters the restroom.
              Last edited by INSTEON John; 01-19-2023, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Try resetting the system: If all else fails, you may want to try resetting the motion sensor and light switches and starting from scratch. You can also try resetting the hub and then reconnecting the devices to it.
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 12:57 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                X