No announcement yet.

SwitchLinc 2477D with GFCI Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The insteon switch is on/off dual band only. Not a dimmer. This switch is located in entryway of home.

Comment

What specific problem? Is the GFCI a breaker or receptacle? Which brand?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The specific problem is the the EATON TR GFCI receptacle trips with insteon switch installed. The GFCI trips as soon as I turn main breaker on to supply power.

Comment

What are you controlling with the Insteon switch? In which room is the outlet located? the switch? (code related)
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I actually have (had) a similar issue. Had a 2477S tripping a GFCI protecting the circuit. Thing is the 2477S wasn't even going to have a load. It was a just a controller where one side of a three way switch used to be. The other end got the 2477S that controlled the load. Wasn't sure if I just got a bad switch. Seems like this can be an issue. Do you suppose there is enough current running the switch electronics that the GFCI sees it as an issue? It was installed with line, neutral and ground, no load. My solution was to by a wireless single button controller for that end. Faster solution, and sure to work. There is a lot of stuff apparently on that GFCI circuit that really doesn't need to be protected. Just the way the electrician wired stuff though.

Comment

What needs to be dependent on a GSCI device is not up to the electrician, it's code dependent. What else is downstream of the GFCI device and in which room?

Comment

I understand that. Ceiling lights in the finished basement and hall don't fall into those categories. We aren't talking wet areas or even outlets. Now that GFCI outlet is in the utility area in the basement with the water heater and such. That's legitimate. He just took that circuit and used it to drive stuff outside that area for convenience. There's another GFCI in the Bathroom right next to the utility area. He could easily have done the bathroom and utility off of one, along with the two outlets by the wet sink.
                As matter of fact, looking at https://www.thespruce.com/nec-regula...-gfcis-1152273, we really should be protecting
                receptacles, not lights. It makes sense to me that sending someone into darkness, who just tripped a GFCI is uncool.
                Last edited by sejohannsen; 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Is the switch in a box with multiple switches? Are their multiple white wires in that box? I've seen a few cases where a person had the switch connected to the wrong neutral (generally the box had 3 way switches in it).

Comment

Originally posted by sejohannsen View Post
                    I understand that. Ceiling lights in the finished basement and hall don't fall into those categories. We aren't talking wet areas or even outlets. Now that GFCI outlet is in the utility area in the basement with the water heater and such. That's legitimate. He just took that circuit and used it to drive stuff outside that area for convenience. There's another GFCI in the Bathroom right next to the utility area. He could easily have done the bathroom and utility off of one, along with the two outlets by the wet sink.
                    As matter of fact, looking at https://www.thespruce.com/nec-regula...-gfcis-1152273, we really should be protecting
                    receptacles, not lights. It makes sense to me that sending someone into darkness, who just tripped a GFCI is uncool.
                    What is the GFCI device that's giving you a problem, a circuit breaker or a receptacle?

Comment

lilyoyo1 Might have been. I solved it a different way, so was more joining the GFCIs seem to cause issues discussion. I may relook at it at some point. The switch is in a two gang box with another one, also one end of a 3 way. If I decide to change that one out, I may need to solve this again.

stusviews This particular GFCI is the receptacle variety. It's in a one gang box by itself, with source line and neutral coming in and two black/white pairs, line and neutral leaving. Might actually be able to trace those a bit, as that side of the wall is open, inside the utility area. Those that go to the lights, don't really need to be on the GFCI, as long as they don't also source some particular outlets. It isn't customary to have lights and outlets on the same breakered circuit, so I'm a bit surprised these seem to be.

Comment

I had a similar issue once. I replaced the switch with a 2477s (swtich only no dimmer) and problem went away.

Comment

silverton38 Already is an S (on/off) module

Comment

You don't need to trace wiring through walls. Turn off the breaker that powers the GFCI receptacle and note what else loses power.

Comment

Shutting off the breaker would tell me all the downstream outlets/lights connected to the GFCI. Don't even need to shut of the breaker. The test button on the GFCI does a fine job. There are two load connections on this model. If one just drives the ceiling lights, and the other drives the outlets by the wet sink, only the latter needs to be protected. If it looks like that by tracing some wire, it may be worth the time to investigate further, removing on or the other load wires and seeing what is downstream.

Comment

To save energy by automating your home's lighting and appliance controls is best way to improve our house. And recently i improved my house to look better with a help of https://www.dailysmarthome.com/. Here i can get many ideas about home maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                                X