Insteon Hub Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub Install

I am an old X10 "Active Home" user. They have been out of biz for a long time, so no software available. I just purchased an Insteon hub to use with my IPad and IPhone. Pretty simple to install. I have 11 devices installed, but I am not getting any functionality from my device screen.......I.E. can't get the up/downsettings to activate on any device. Also, not getting any sensor status indicators (the green light) on my full device screen.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I called insteon and they said to plug into a wall outlet rather than a powers trip. I did that, but no difference. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Tom

X-10 devices have never shown the status on the Hub.

As for the devices not triggering, I would suspect a powerline/signal issue. As suggested, you can try plugging the Hub into another circuit or location. I assume the x-10 devices were/are working correctly otherwise? Do they respond to other controllers (i.e., handheld remote, keychain remote, etc)?

Comment

TFitz.......would you then recommend that I disable my X10 interface and change my X10 devices to Insteon devices?

Comment

Eagle77.......I also suspect some sort of signal issue. I am going to move my huh to a new location. Actually, I have comcast internet and never upgraded to the hem modem. Its coming next week. So my plan is to connect my hub directly the the comcast modem. That will then test a new internet source.and a new electrical connection. I did try a different electrical connection with no different results. Does anyone actually plug their hub into anything but a wall outlet......such as a power strip?

Comment

A power strip if it has a AC line filter in it. It may absorb Insteon and X10 power line signals. Computing devices on the same circuit can also absorb power line signals or make power line noise.
          Some of us use a Filterlinc on their computing equipment. I use a Filterlinc on my UPS to filter the computing equipment and have my ISY994is PLM on the unfiltered outlet on the front of the Filterlinc.

Comment

BLH.......thanks, but I am attempting to use my IPad and IPhone. So far no luck. Got the app installed, but can't get any functionality to my devises

Comment

Is the app not connecting with the HUB?
              If the HUB is connecting with the app but the HUB is controlling none of your Insteon devices. Then you may have a power line issue between the HUB and the modules you are trying to control.

Comment

BLH.........what does that mean if I have a power line issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas B View Post
                  BLH.........what does that mean if I have a power line issue?

It means the signal isn't getting through either because of too much noise, or the signal is being absorbed by something else.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

Is the app accessing the HUB?
                    If the app is accessing the HUB and shows it is doing things but the devices you are trying to control. Do not respond to the HUB. You may have issues with the Insteon commands getting to the devices you want to control.

Comment

Teken and BLH......thanks for the help.
                      Smarthome is sending a new hub as they troubleshot it and think it may be bad. Somehow though, I have this feeling its a "noise" issue. I am going to install the hub into my comcast modem rather than my router. Since my router has a lot going on with it, and near it, I'm going to try that. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
                      Tom
                      Last edited by Thomas B; 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I had limited success with the hub controlling X-10. I got an old radio shack x-10 relay to work. None of the Smartlinc lamp modules would work. I got one out of 3 Smartlinc dimmer switches to work. I got 2 new Insteon lamp dimmer modules and three new dimmer switches. I got that setup working. Here are some issues. Before they delivered the 2 Modules $50 ea. they put on sale a one day 4 module for $100. They would not adjust the cost/quantity. They would take back the goods and ship out the new a colossal waste of time. Not happy with their handling of that. You can wait hours on the phone for customer support. I hung up yesterday after 40 min. The Houselinc Software is not up to prime time and the smartphone Apps is barely functional. If they spent half the time on software as they do on hardwar they would be a much better company. It also seems you cannot use the phoe App and the Houselinc software together. Not sure why that is.

Comment

You can use HouseLinc and an Insteon app at the same time. Just be sure not to have the same controller do different things in HL and the App.
                          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                          X