Need to Reset Dimmer Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to Reset Dimmer Switch

I was working on a script that went off the rails as started sending a large amount of ON / OFF commands to a dimmer switch.

I stopped the script but it seems the switch loaded up with ON / OFF commands as it kept turning ON and OFF.

I tried pulling the tab out on the bottom and back in but that did not fix the issue.

I tried pushing in the tab on the bottom but that did not fix the issue.

If I disconnect the switch from the power will it clear the switch?

Is the switch cooked?

Is the PLM full of ON / OFF events for the switch?

Pulling the Air Gap switch out. Cuts the power to the switch. So disconnecting it from the AC would do nothing. The Air Gap didn't do already.
    Factory reset depending on the switch having an internal beeper. You manual should give you more exact information.
    Try pulling the Air Gap switch out. For 10 seconds. Push it all the way in past it normal position. If it has a beeper. Hold it in until the beeper stops beeping. Then release it.
    If it doesn't have a beeper. Try holding it in for 10 seconds and then releasing it.
    I doubt the PLM is full of commands but unplugging it and seeing if the switch still cycling may give you a clue.
    If the switch is cooked. It would still cycle even after a factory reset. There have been reports of them having a power supply failure but that would be a coincidence.

Comment

The PLM's communications protocol should not allow commands to be stacked in it.
      Each time the software or controller send it a command. It sends the command back with a ACK if accepted or a NAK if it was not processed.
      If a factory reset does clear it. It will be in the as shipped state from the factory. So you will have to re link it to your controller or software.
      If the brightness LED's in the bar graph. Are also going form the off to full on indicators. That may also indicate the switch has bad information in it or if reset and sill cycles. Most likely it has failed.
      Is the switch a power line only model like a 2476D or dual band 2477D?

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        The PLM's communications protocol should not allow commands to be stacked in it.
        Pulling out the tab did noting.

I went as far as removing the switch from the wall I then let it sit for 30 minutes and then reinstalled it, a few seconds later the switch was turning ON and OFF again.

I then pulled the usb cable from the PLM at which point the switch stopped turning ON and OFF.

After reattaching the PLM openHAB could no longer communicate with the switches so I reboot openHAB.

After the reboot the switch returned to normal operation and was no longer turning ON and OFF on its own.

Currently I am attempt to integrate MQTT into my setup and I am having issues with receiving the STATE of the switches. Can you be of assistance with that?

Comment

Sounds like something was looping in onenHAB ans sending the on off cycling. Through the PLM. That a reboot of the program cleared.
          Probably can't help but do you know the switches model number or if it is a single band or dual band module?

Comment

do you know the switches model number
            I am working with a mixture of Dimmers and Switches ( 2477D 2476S 2476D ).

Comment

The 2476S Factory Reset depends on its revision.
              If it does not have an Air Gap Switch. It has to be Factory Reset with a different method.
              The 2477D is Dual Band and the 2476S and 2476D are power line only communication.

Comment

Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 12:28 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

If it does not have an Air Gap Switch. It has to be Factory Reset with a different method. happy wheels
                  The 2477D is Dual Band and the 2476S and 2476D are power line only communication.
                  I restarted openHABwhen the switches did not connect and I needed another method to get it Factory Reset.
                  Last edited by chaseupstage; 01-11-2024, 08:46 PM.

Comment

What model switch?
                    The early 2476S switches with no Set Button Air Gap Switch have a different reset procedure.
                    Easy test pull out the set button and see if the light and led go off.
                    If they stay enabled you have no air gap switch.

Resetting SwitchLinc Relay to Its Factory Default Settings (no gap models)
                    The factory reset procedure can be used to clear SwitchLinc Relay’s memory and restore its factory
                    default settings. This procedure will clear the unit of all INSTEON Links, and any programmed X10
                    Primary Address or X10 Scene Addresses.
                    1. Before resetting a SwitchLinc Relay that has been linked to an INSTEON Controller, be sure to unlink
                    it from the Controller first. See Unlinking SwitchLinc Relay from an INSTEON Controller, above.
                    2. If you are using SwitchLinc Relay to control any INSTEON Devices other than the light it is wired to,
                    unlink those Devices from SwitchLinc Relay. See Unlinking a Controlled INSTEON Device from
                    SwitchLinc Relay, above.
                    3. Press and hold the Paddle Top for 10 seconds -- then release.
                    4. Tap the SET Button all the way in -- then release.
                    5. Push the SET Button all the way in and hold for 10 seconds -- then release.
                    6. A few seconds after you let up on the SET button, SwitchLinc Relay will turn the light it is wired to fully
                    ON, indicating that the factory reset is complete. SwitchLinc Relay is now reset to all the default
                    settings and ready for fresh programming and use.

Comment

Originally posted by jassyyy

I understand your frustration with the dimmer switch issue and the influx of ON/OFF commands. It seems like the switch may have become overloaded, continuously toggling even after stopping the script. Pulling or pushing the tab on the bottom won't fix it. However, disconnecting the switch from power might clear its memory and resolve the problem. Give it a few minutes without power before reconnecting. If the switch still functions after the power reset, it's likely not permanently damaged. But if the issue persists, you may need to consider a replacement. As for the PLM (Powerline Modem), it's possible that it's storing a backlog of ON/OFF events. For further assistance, consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer. I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your dimmer switch. Good luck!
                      Pulling out the Set/Air Gap switch will disconnect the power.
                      Just like cycling the AC Breaker Off and back On.

Comment

Working...
                      X