Issue with legacy Insteon system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with legacy Insteon system

Hello! I acquired my home in 2007. The previous owner had installed Insteon Switchlincs in the entire house. In a few months, several of the switches started failing. I replaced them all. However, as the time passed, more and more switches failed and I decided to remove them all in 2014. One issue appeared after that, but I was OK with it: there was lighting underneath the kitchen cabinets (over the countertop) that I could not turn on anymore. Apparently, there was something controlling those lights just electronically, not physically. I say this because after the electrician was done replacing all switches, I could not find a way to turn on those lights. So.. I lost the countertop lighting… Fast forward to 2022. One day, suddenly and I don’t know how, these kitchen cabinet countertop lights turned on by themselves. And now, I find no way to turn them off. There is no switch that does it. Unless there is something installed above the kitchen cabinets in a hidden place perhaps in the ceiling. So here is my question: Is there a way to connect with the system via a hub or something to map any Insteon devices that could still be installed inside the ceiling or behind a cabinet with no access? Thank you! Emerson

Do you presently have a Insteon controller. Like the HUB or an ISY994i.
    Insteon modules can be linked to each other with no automatic controller. With the manual set button routines. So it is possible the lamp module was linked to a Switchlinc and it would control both the light connected and the one on the hidden module. With no HUB or ISY994i
    Yes they did make a module that can be inside the light fixture. Micro Modules also.
    You are going to need the six digit ID numbers if you want to add them to a controller.
    Manual linking would need you to start the controlling module and then push the set button on the one you want to control.
    Look at the modules six digit ID and model number on the front side of the Switchlinc. You should be able to find manuals online for them. With explanation of how things work.

Comment

It may be possible to connect to the Insteon system via a hub and map any devices that may still be installed in the ceiling or behind a cabinet with no access. You could try contacting Insteon customer support for assistance on how to do this or to see if they have any other suggestions for resolving the issue.
      PFMLogin.com
      Last edited by GordonO; 03-21-2023, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Something seems to be going on, I can't contact Insteon customer support. What do I need to do next?
        Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-01-2023, 09:26 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

You can use the Insteon Hub to control your Insteon devices from your smartphone or tablet. To set up your Insteon Hub, you need to plug it into the wall and your router via Ethernet. Then download and install the Insteon for Hub app, available for iOS and Android. Once you have set up your Insteon Hub, you can use it to control your Insteon devices from anywhere in the world.
          Last edited by keithcory; 06-24-2023, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcory View Post
            You can use the Insteon Hub to control your Insteon devices from your smartphone or tablet. To set up your Insteon Hub, you need to plug it into the wall and your router via Ethernet. Then download and install the Insteon for Hub app, available for iOS and Android. Once you have set up your Insteon Hub, you can use it to control your Insteon devices from anywhere in the world.
            It sounds cool to be able to control it from anywhere in the world
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-07-2023, 08:26 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Originally posted by keithcory View Post
              What equipment you're going to use to run Homeassistant must be your initial choice. However, there are only two things that are "cheap, fast, and easy" as the proverbial saying goes. Now that Home Assistant is nearby and quick, you may choose between inexpensive and simple. You already have a Windows system, but getting started that way is difficult since you will need to set up a virtual machine and are likely to encounter various difficulties with network settings, firewalls, etc. that Windows throws at you.
              Last edited by INSTEON John; 08-03-2023, 01:16 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
              X