Motion Sensor II won't honor night-only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor II won't honor night-only

I have had the 2844-222 Motion Sensor II for several years now, controlling outdoor lights. (Yes, I know that it says indoor use only, but I haven't had any issues with it - until now.) The problem I have is that even though I have it set to "Night only", it turns on the lights even in full daylight. I have experimented with the light sensitivity setting, disabled and enabled Night Only, done an unlink, full reset and re-add, nothing helps. In all other ways it works OK.

My first thought was that it was just "tired" and I'd replace it, but it's out of stock everywhere I can see. I have seen references in this forum to a Z-wave outdoor sensor, and I'd be happy to try that, but don't know what else I need to integrate with my Insteon switches (I do have the Insteon hub.) Suggestions welcomed.

It is possible the elements with outside use.
    Caused some corrosion on the PC Board or damaged the photo cell sensing the light level and it thinks it is always dark.
    Is it in a protected area so it was not directly exposed to the elements?
    I have no added tips a typical user could try.

Comment

It is protected by an overhang. I said "screw it", and ordered the ISY994i ZW+ PRO, Insteon USB bridge and a Z-wave "outdoor" sensor. Will see how that goes for me. The ISY might solve some other annoyances for me as well.

Comment

The ISY994i ZW+PRO uses a serial connection to the PLM for Insteon and X10 communications. A 2413U USB PLM will not work and the 2413S serial PLM has been out of stock for awhile now.
        The Z-wave communications don't use a PLM so it would still work OK.

Comment

Sigh - I realized tonight that the USB bridge would not work. Damn Amazon for suggesting it with the ISY. I did find a project that used a Raspberry Pi as an intermediary - maybe I'll try that. But this is becoming more complicated than I expected. Have canceled all the orders for now while I regroup. Maybe the simpler solution for now is to replace the two switches I use for the sensor with Z-Wave and see how things shake out. I have a lot invested in Insteon, and it's sad to see it falling apart.

Comment

You are not alone in the need of a 2413S Serial Port PLM.
            Also looks like you have seen the posts in the UDI forums and attempts to use a 2413U PLM. Most did not work. Only the Raspberry Pi one looked promising.
            I am Brian H over on their forum and two X10 related forums.

Comment

Working...
            X