12 amp air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 amp air compressor

I would like to put a smart switch on the electrical outlet that my 1.4 HP/12 amp compressor plugs in to. Ultimately, I want to make sure it gets shut off when I’m not in the workshop and sometimes I forget. My first thought was just a smart on/off switch wired to the outlet. The switch would control the outlet. However, I see that the regular on/off switch is good for a 1hp motor and 10 amps. Is the proper solution to just put a switch in and connect no load to it, and then link that to a 15 amp smart outlet via Insteon. In other words, just use the switch to control the outlet without actually wiring them together.

Is there a more cost effective way to do this?

thanks for the sanity check.

Linking the switch (2477S), with no load, to the outlet (2663-222) would be the recommended way of going, but yes, that would be ~$100.00. You could always add your lights to the switch and make it the workshop master switch.

If you already have, or are going to get, a 2245-222 Hub, and don't care about the switch you could just get the outlet and use your phone/tablet for control.

If you want to be creative, and don't mind the extra wiring, you could wire the 2477S to a contactor which would be wired to the outlet....but this could also come out to $100.00, or more if you tear up the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
      Linking the switch (2477S), with no load, to the outlet (2663-222) would be the recommended way of going, but yes, that would be ~$100.00. You could always add your lights to the switch and make it the workshop master switch.

If you already have, or are going to get, a 2245-222 Hub, and don't care about the switch you could just get the outlet and use your phone/tablet for control.

If you want to be creative, and don't mind the extra wiring, you could wire the 2477S to a contactor which would be wired to the outlet....but this could also come out to $100.00, or more if you tear up the walls.
      The whole workshop is Insteon. Great idea to just link it with the light switch. I can just use the existing light switch and control that outlet. Thanks, Sean!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post

That's a great idea!

Comment

Working...
        X