How do I disable dimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I disable dimming?

I have several 6-button keypad dimmers (2334-232), and one wall switch/dimmer (2477S).

I have changed over to LED bulbs everywhere, and, for safety, would like to disable the dimming function that occurs when a button is held down. Is there a simple way to do this, or do I just need to be careful?

Thank you.

That's not possible. You're better off buying dimmable bulbs for loads that are directly connected to a dimmer switch

Comment

The LED bulbs have to be rated to be on a dimmer. You could possibly damage the LED bulb, the Dimmer Switch itself or they could act strange. If they are not rated for a dimmer.
      Last edited by BLH; 12-07-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        The LED bulbs have to be rated to be on a dimmer. You could possibly damage the LED bulb, the Dimmer Switch itself or they could act strange. If they are not rated for a dimmer.
        That was the point of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
          That's not possible. You're better off buying dimmable bulbs for loads that are directly connected to a dimmer switch
          Not economical. We're talking a lot of bulbs that would need replacing.

I'm better off just being careful not to press the button too long (not THAT difficult!). Replacing the occasionally damaged LED bulb is far less expensive than replacing them all with dimmable bulbs.

It's a shame that this is not a feature in the keypads.

Comment

Last time I was in there, Dollar Tree had LED dimmables for {feigned shock} $1.
            I tried a couple and they seemed to play nice, but who knows.

I would think that replacing the bulbs now would be more economical than replacing the switches if/when they are damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelocks View Post
              I would think that replacing the bulbs now would be more economical than replacing the switches if/when they are damaged.
              Why would the switches be damaged? The bulbs would not like trying to be dimmed, and would likely go wonky and/or overheat and burn out, but I don't see why the dimmer would be damaged. What would cause that?

I still think this is something that should be possible. There are other scenarios where a dimmer would have been originally installed, and later the load was changed to something non-dimmable. I think it should be possible to accommodate this.

Comment

Even at 100% ON. Dimmers have a distorted AC waveform on the output.. So non dimmer types LED bulbs can be damaged and when they fail. In theory can also damage the dimmer itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                  Even at 100% ON. Dimmers have a distorted AC waveform on the output.. So non dimmer types LED bulbs can be damaged and when they fail. In theory can also damage the dimmer itself.
                  Experience is the best teacher. There is too much information on line that can be easily found with a google Google search. If they want to risk their 50+ dollar switch for a 2 dollar bulb that's on them. They've been warned. It's on them now

Comment

Originally posted by gmusgrave View Post
                    Is there a simple way to do this, or do I just need to be careful?
                    Since you don't like any of the answers so far, I'll go back to basics...

You just have to be careful.
                    Oh, and replace stuff when the smoke comes out (smoke is a factory installed options that cannot be retrofitted in the field).

Comment

Originally posted by Beelocks View Post
                      Oh, and replace stuff when the smoke comes out (smoke is a factory installed options that cannot be retrofitted in the field).
                      I plan to warp them in plastic bags to catch the smoke... I think I might be able to put it back in.

Comment

The LED lights must be approved for use with a dimmer switch. The LED light bulb or the Dimmer Switch may be damaged or behave erratically. Especially if they are not dimmable.
                        Last edited by rogerturcotte; 08-27-2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X