Switchlinc Wiring Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switchlinc Wiring Puzzle

I had a tech wire three switches. They didn't operate correctly and the tech returned an rechecked. Claimed all was wired properly. I don't think so. I've provided the details below.
    • 3 Insteon Switches (switches #1, #2 and #3)
    • Switches #1 and #2 to operate as a 3-way circuit
    • Light AA is operated by #1 and #2
    • Light BB is operated by #3
    • #3 and BB operate as expected.
    What happens:
    • AA only illuminates by #1 or #2 IF #3 is switched ON
    • Regardless of any of #1, #2 or #3s' state, switches are always powered, i.e., the switches' LEDs are always illuminated.
    How might these switches be wired to operate in this way?

Just to verify, if you pull out the set button on switch #3 (air gapped) do switch #1 and #2 still power up? If not the main line lead to #1 and #2 are tied to the load of switch #3.

If that is not the case you might ask your tech if he used travel wires between switch #1 and #2. Or if he had to repurpose any traveler wires. If he did there probably is a wiring issue since Insteon does not use travelers. really it sounds like he somehow tied a traveler from AA to BB....Of course I could be wrong.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzisist View Post
      I had a tech wire three switches. They didn't operate correctly and the tech returned an rechecked. Claimed all was wired properly. I don't think so. I've provided the details below.
      • 3 Insteon Switches (switches #1, #2 and #3)
      • Switches #1 and #2 to operate as a 3-way circuit
      • Light AA is operated by #1 and #2
      • Light BB is operated by #3
      • #3 and BB operate as expected.
      What happens:
      • AA only illuminates by #1 or #2 IF #3 is switched ON
      • Regardless of any of #1, #2 or #3s' state, switches are always powered, i.e., the switches' LEDs are always illuminated.
      How might these switches be wired to operate in this way?
      Did you link them together

Comment

Working...
      X