Track lights flashing when any other control operated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track lights flashing when any other control operated

My home has numerous switches and modules including multiple KPLs. All operated by an ISY 994i. Essentially all of the devices in the house are dual band Insteon. Everything was working perfectly until recently.

I recently replaced a can light over the kitchen sink with a set of multiple ceiling fixtures having integral dimmable LEDs that look like recessed can lights..The can light was previously controlled by the usual light switch ganged with the disposer. I replaced that switch with an Insteon dimmer switch. That set of LEDs works a treat.

On a separate kitchen circuit, a bunch of fluorescent strips were replaced with two banks of full mains voltage track lights with dimmable LED bulbs. The fluorescent strips had been controlled with an Insteon relay (on/off) switch at the kitchen entrance. I replaced that switch with a KPL (2334-2 configured with 6 buttons) where the On/Off buttons operate the track. Button "A" was configured as a remote control for the in-ceiling LEDs.

The problem I am having is that when any Insteon control anywhere in the house (including buttons A through D on the same KPL) is operated, all of the kitchen track lights (if they happen to be on) flash in unison. The flashing appears to be related to the Insteon signaling in the circuitry that sets the device states per whatever scene is activated by the control.. That is, the flashing lasts only 3-4 seconds, and resembles a patterned code sequence that is different (but consistent) for each control.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
    Should I suspect:
    (a) the bulbs?
    (b) the track or fixtures?
    (c) the KPL?

My initial suspicion is (a).

It appears that the issue is with the Insteon KPL.

I have track lights with dimmable LEDs in 3 other rooms, controlled by 2477D switches. These all work perfectly. However they have different LEDs, so to test whether the bulb or fixture was the problem, I moved one of those fixtures to the kitchen track. That fixture now flashes identically with the others.

AFAIK the track or its associated wiring contains simple conductors with no circuitry whatever, so therefore the issue seems to be with the remaining component: the Insteon KPL switch.

Sometime later today, I will swap the KPL with a nearby 2477D that is controlling a pair of hallway wall sconces.

Comment

I replaced the KPL with a (previously used) spare 2477D dimmer switch. The flashing described in the initial post disappeared.

However, a new problem appeared. It turned out that both that dimmer and another one on a different circuit had an X10 address assigned to them, in fact THE SAME X10 address. As a result, when either switch was operated, the local load would first come on, then the load attached to the other switch. (Same with turning either of them off.)

The log showed what happened was that when the switch was turned ON, first the Insteon signaling took place which turned on the device, then the following appeared in the log:
      X10-RX 02 52 DC 00
      X10-RX 02 52 D2 80
      After which, Insteon commands were issued to turn on the second load!

A fine kettle of fish. The next problem was to figure out how to remove the X10 addresses from these switches. The manual for the switch insists the only way to do it involve pressing buttons on an X10 controller. This presented a major problem with all X10 control boxes now long gone from this house!!

However, being a persistent cuss, I eventually found this page that saved the day:
      https://www.insteon.com/support-know...10-programming
      The referenced page says to put the device in unlinking mode, then send the X10 ON command to the X10 address 3 times.

HMMM.

This morning, I went to the Admin console and entered a quick program with no IF condition, a THEN clause with 3 SEND X10 ON commands to the offending address, and no ELSE section.

I then put one of the switches in unlink (LED flashing red), went back to the console and ran the THEN section of the program. VOILA! It worked! The blinking red immediately stopped
      I then did the same with the second device. Hallelujah. The devices now work and no X10 commands are logged.

I sure hope this experience helps someone else.

Comment

You could have done a factory reset on the modules. Then do a restore device through the ISY994i. Unless the X10 address was buried in an ISY994i program. A factory reset removes all links and X10 addressee in a module.

Comment

Actually, "factory reset" was the first thing I tried. No cigar. After so-called "factory reset", they retained their X10 addresses. It appears that factory reset only resets the Insteon parts to their factory state.

You use X10 signaling to assign an X10 address and you have to also use X10 signaling to remove it!

Comment

I previously had X10-related programming on the PLM that preceded the ISY as my control module. (I suppose it is possible the ISY has some hidden programs that it copied when I made the switchover. If so, it is something I can't access. I can't see anything in ISY documentation that would indicate anything of that nature exists.)

Until this morning, there were no X10 references of any kind in the programs listed on the ISY, all of which I wrote..The only program that does any X10 is the one that I wrote this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by AZPhil View Post
              Actually, "factory reset" was the first thing I tried. No cigar. After so-called "factory reset", they retained their X10 addresses. It appears that factory reset only resets the Insteon parts to their factory state.

You use X10 signaling to assign an X10 address and you have to also use X10 signaling to remove it!
              From all the users manuals I have seen. The Factory Reset. Should remove all links and X10 addresses in them. Sounds like yours are an odd ball or a factory reset failed for some reason.

Glad your work around worked and others may find it a help.
              Last edited by BLH; 11-01-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post

From all the users manuals I have seen. The Factory Reset. Should remove all links and X10 addresses in them. Sounds like yours are an odd ball or a factory reset failed for some reason.

Glad your work around worked and others may find it a help.
                Both of the devices in question are 2477D. One is V41, the other V45. Definitely not recent models.

Conceivably the factory resets failed. The behavior didn't match the instructions exactly.
                Manual says:
                1. "Pull out the set button until the LEDs turn off." Check. That worked.
                2. "Wait 10 seconds." Check. I waited about 20.
                3. "Push in and hold the set button until the long beep subsides." A note below says "hold 10 seconds on older switches that don't long beep." Neither of my switches made any noise. I have no idea what a "long beep" is. I held it in at least 30 seconds.
                4. "Release the set button. The switch will double beep." No beeping of any kind occurred. I guess that says the reset failed. Maybe because it had an X10 address?

I repeated this whole procedure twice on one switch. No double beep on either switch at any time. I have a hunch that the reset will work now that the X10 address has been removed. No ability to test that theory for the near future.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
                  I have seen things where the manuals where not updated and things where changed.

Comment

Working...
                  X